• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question concerning Flight Screening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wali

I was just recently told by one of my friend's (Ensign, USN SNA) that all of the officers who are selected for SNA have to get their privates if they don't have it already. The Navy will pay for it but you have to have a private license before you even class up for API. Is this true?

farkle84

its called IFS. but you dont have to get your private. its 25 hours of flight time. basically they want you to solo and do a cross country. i know Marine SNAs have to do it before TBS or after.

AY03

Generally, how long do SNA's have to wait for API after graduating OCS? Does this leave enough time for IFS?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
the wait for API is LONG... people arriving now won't class up until next year. Some people are taking grad courses online via Naval Post Graduate School because the wait is so long.

As for IFS... it takes 1-2 months. You must successfully complete IFS before you move on to API. It's a screening program so if you don't get through it you will be attrited from the program.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
How fast you complete IFS depends on your motivation. You are allowed 2 months to complete it, and most finish in a month and a half. My roommate and I tied the record however and completed it in 16.5 days. If you have a desire to finish fast and are motivated, its possible. Right now IFS is pretty full and takes awhile to get in to, and there is a very long wait after IFS before you class up for API.

doubledown

If you are attrited from the program after TBS, do you just get kicked back to a ground position since you would all ready be a commissioned officer?

Also, the wait for API is long you say, what are you doing during this time? Are you working for the military or do you take a civilian position somewhere and wait?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
During the waiting period, some people are getting a few credits courtesy of Navy Postgrad. Most people just form up for PT/muster each morning until you class up. Occasionally you get stuck with a stash job that might last anywhere from 1 day to the day you class up, it just depends. Also, there are so many people in the program that if you get attrited out of OCS or something similar, then you are just discharged from the military. If you had an NROTC scholarship or went to the Academy, then you will redesignate to General Aviation, or SWO. For the Marines you would just go back to a ground position.

SkyHigh

If you had a college program (BDCP) you will not go home. You will get General Aviation just like the ROTC Acad kids. Or you might redesgnate with intel or something depending on if you meet the criteria.

navy101

Is that only if you attrite or DOR they send you to general aviation? What if you are npq'd during the nami physical given on the first week of OCS(in BDCP), can you choose a new designation or they just put you in general aviation.

sna-vt3

yeah...they just put you in GenAv. The swo community is so oversubscribed that they do not want anyone else.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
if you are NPQ'd and received money for college then they will "try" to find u a new designator based on availability and your credentials. If they can't find you one then they send u home.

RobNLa

Do you have to complete IFS if you already have your PPL? Also, if you are npq'd for sna do you have any say in which community you go to?

navy101

If you have a ppl you do not do IFS, as for the second question I have no idea. I will let you know in a week since I start OCS next Sunday and take the nami medical the next day. Hopefully I will pass the damn thing. It has been over two years since my meps medical. If I do get npq'd I would like to go nfo.

wusappenin

None
navy101:
it's been over two years since your meps physical? they didnt make you do a new one? i was finally accepted for ocs but i had to get another physical because they said that my old one was approaching the two year mark, at which point they required a new physical. i wonder if you're in the same boat as myself. tip of advice in case you do have to get a new physical, talk to your recruiter and ask to do it at a naval base or air station. the people at meps are there to disqualify anyone for anything. when i did mine at the naval air station, the doctors were cool and not too thorough. i guess the navy took care of their own in my case as opposed to letting meps get their hands on a selected applicant and risk losing one. least thats what my recruiter said. godspeed

Status
Not open for further replies.