• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About Transferring Colleges

NATHAN4748

am currently a freshman attending the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga. I am extremely interested in the NROTC program at Georgia Tech. But from what I understand to become commissioned you have to pick up a scholarship or receive Advanced Standing. I was wondering if I can start taking Naval Science courses next semester, Jan 2013, or if I have to start during a fall semester? And if I was to transfer next semester and start to NROTC program then, would I then become eligible for the 3 year scholarship starting my sophomore year? I guess the biggest thing I need to know is do i start thinking about transferring in January or finish out the whole year at UTC and then transfer as a sophomore?
Thank you for any help

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I suggest you pick up the phone and call the Georgia Tech NROTC unit and ask them. Anything you get here is just a guess.

dag27

Often times units will allow transfers for those starting their sophomore year as long as you have three full years left in college. Not sure about starting right away on a 3 year scholarship but you could always apply for the 2 year scholarship in the spring semester of your sophomore year. That's my plan as I just transferred into a nrotc unit.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Call the LT at GA Tech. I'll add my personal experience as a former NROTC transfer dude, but keep in mind that I went through that process like 9 years ago so things may have changed. Basically I came in, after some non-transferrable credits (I did a 141 flight program previously that mostly didn't count) were removed, as a new sophomore credit wise. I did the first year at my NROTC unit as a college programmer without a scholarship, and then got awarded a 3 year scholarship the summer after that year by the CO. Ended up working out just fine, and I was actually there just over 4 years due to playing a little catch up with NS classes and being an engineering major (ie I didn't take 21 credits of engineering each term). Back then, the cutoff for the program was being sophomore standing or less. I don't know what it is now, but my guess is that it hasn't changed much. Keep your grades up and get into GA tech, and I doubt you will have too much trouble getting picked up for the NROTC program. Keep the grades up after that and show some interest in your NROTC program, and generally a scholarship isn't too hard to come by. For a while I know that Advanced Standing just wasn't being handed out, but I have no idea if that has come back since then. You are correct that you need to be in one of those two programs by the time you start your junior year to continue on in NROTC.