• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about the AFOQT.

Mar96

Hi, I have a question about scoring on the AFOQT. I plan to score really high on the test. I also plan to major in aerospace engineering. Since Aerospace Engineering is a math-intense and science-intense degree, could it help you get a high score on the AFOQT? Many Air Force people I spoke to told me no, but it makes sense to me that it would. Aside from that, I plan to get a private pilot license, all the way through to a commercial pilot license. Will this also help someone score REALLY high on the AFOQT? It seems to make sense to me it would. If these two things apart from purchasing study guides won't help someone score interstellar scores on the test, why not? What's on the test that makes it hard(explain in detail please)? Thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mar,
I think someone said it in another thread. We, AirWarriors.com, cater primarily to Navy and Marine Corps. There are a few CG, AF, and Army personnel, but they don't post that often. Your best bet for these types of questions is baseops.net. Go to your local library and check out a study guide....for free. Review the guide and you'll understand the type of questions asked on the test. Good luck.

Reactions: HTR

ryan1234

Hi, I have a question about scoring on the AFOQT. I plan to score really high on the test. I also plan to major in aerospace engineering. Since Aerospace Engineering is a math-intense and science-intense degree, could it help you get a high score on the AFOQT? Many Air Force people I spoke to told me no, but it makes sense to me that it would. Aside from that, I plan to get a private pilot license, all the way through to a commercial pilot license. Will this also help someone score REALLY high on the AFOQT? It seems to make sense to me it would. If these two things apart from purchasing study guides won't help someone score interstellar scores on the test, why not? What's on the test that makes it hard(explain in detail please)? Thanks.

Mar,

Good on you for being enthusiastic about your possible career path. The last and only time I took the AFOQT was quite a few years ago, I had some type of lower level calc course the semester before taking the test, I personally think it helped a lot. A private pilot certificate will probably help you as well. Just keep in mind that the AFOQT is just one piece of the puzzle and that not everyone is cut out to fly fighters. Some people love the idea, but then hate pulling Gs or don't have good enough grades to get there. It isn't just flying, it's tactical flying - where your aircraft is weapon dealing death to various enemies. Some people aren't down with pulling the trigger.

In your future military career (and especially in fighters) you'll want to ask less questions and simply get better at researching/reading/studying for your own answers.

Additionally, before you go over to baseops, you may want to can the selfie as your profile picture and not ask questions that require only a cursory glance into the forums to find answers. Otherwise... good luck!

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
To add to this for anyone reading, I noticed when I started exploring this site and baseops, that many of the the guys at baseops were not nearly as forgiving, understanding, etc etc when it came to a lot of things as folks on AW. So follow Ryan's advice, do your searching, ditch the selfie, etc.

I personally did better on the AFOQT, but I think that was because the book I had really sucked on the ASTB portions (according the the NRD dudes I was working with). YMMV.

Mar96

Hello! Thanks for the advice and help!! Do you fly the t45? Are you going to fly fighters? I am sure I want to fly fighters in the Air National Guard because its a direct way to that platform.

exNavyOffRec

I would keep all your options open since you are young, lots of things have been changing recently and who knows where they are going, the ANG may or may not be an option in several years, other services may or may not be an option in several years as well, the number one thing you should do is get a degree that will provide you the option to get a good civilian job with a good GPA as you don't know what the future holds, I have dealt with several who wanted to join but couldn't due to no fault of their own, one person I worked with just happened to be mugged one night, the injury he suffered resulted in him being perm. DQ from military service

ARAMP1

Aviator Extraordinaire
pilot
None
you'll want to ask less questions and simply get better at researching/reading/studying for your own answers.

So follow Ryan's advice, do your searching

My two pennies of advice (since you went over there and started your own thread that promptly got shut down...do you even search, brah?) is to concentrate on the things you can control right now. Focus every day on your education. Engineering is a good base to have, but if your GPA sucks, you're only going to have to work harder to make up for it. English Literature holds no different weight than Mechanical Engineering, only your GPA matters. Also, it's great that you plan on getting your private and commercial licenses. But, go out to the local airport and start taking lessons. A little bit of flight time may help your chances and your TBAS score, but you'll find that it takes longer and costs more money than expected.

Start reading here and keep those grades up! Good luck!

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/14396-how-to-improve-your-chances/

mb1685

I'm a former AFROTC cadet and I took the AFOQT. I didn't study much for it and I don't have a very strong math or engineering background, and I did pretty decent (average scores, not all that competitive). Many of my friends who stayed in the program and commissioned with pilot slots did very well and from what I recall, nearly none of them had engineering degrees. In fact, one of them scored around 98 or so for Pilot and Nav and he majored in Business.

Pick something you're genuinely interested in and that you would enjoy doing if you don't get the Air Force gig, and pick something that you realistically think you'll do very good at because GPA is a big factor in getting a pilot slot in the Air Force, if I recall correctly. If you truly want to do Aerospace Engineering and you think you'll be good at it, then go for it, but don't pick it just because you think it'll give you a leg up on the AFOQT. It won't necessarily do any more for you than studying the right things will, regardless of what you major in. If you don't like it or it ends up being more than you bargained for, it could backfire.

Flight hours are factored into the PCSM score (Pilot Candidate Selection Method) and indeed can improve your chances of getting a pilot slot, but for AFOQT purposes, most of the general aviation questions were fairly basic and I've been told they aren't any more difficult than anything you'd encounter on the Private Pilot FAA Examination. Plus, if I'm remembering correctly, the calculations for how flight hours affect your PCSM are tiered, and the more hours you accumulate, the less impact they have on your score, so there are diminishing returns. Getting your PPL would certainly be a good thing and I encourage you to do so if it's within your means, but going significantly beyond that may not be a huge advantage if you're doing it solely to try to do better on the AFOQT and get picked up by the Air Force. Get your Commercial rating if you really want to and it's not going to jeopardize you financially, but it's not going to make or break your pilot slot chances, so don't bet on it.

mb1685

Ah, just found your thread on BaseOps. It's definitely true that they seem to be a little less forgiving and more uptight than AirWarriors, but you need to grow some thicker skin. Cussing out those with dissenting views is generally not the best course of action.

croakerfish

pilot
Ah, just found your thread on BaseOps. It's definitely true that they seem to be a little less forgiving and more uptight than AirWarriors, but you need to grow some thicker skin. Cussing out those with dissenting views is generally not the best course of action.

I would ask for a link but it's probably not hard to find.