• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about SWO

ABF2

I am applying for SWO I am Active Duty (8 years). I Graduated with a 3.8 GPA in Computer Science but my B.S program did not require me to do calc or physics. My Physics was transferred in from Smart transcript. I have seen that some people on here said that to apply for SWO you have to have a year of calculus. But the instruction states :

(2) For submarine and surface warfare (NUCLEAR), in addition to a baccalaureate degree or higher, applicants must have completed the following:
(a) One year (i.e., two semesters, two trimesters or three quarters) of college calculus through differential and integral calculus of one real variable with a grade of "C" or better. One semester/quarter/term must be taken "in the classroom." Waivers to this requirement may be granted by Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Nuclear Officer Program Manager (OPNAV (N133)) on a case by case basis.

I bolded the nuclear because I am not applying to become a nuke SWO just a regular SWO. Can someone clarify this if they have the information. Thank you very much.

15 years ago there certainly wasn't that requirement for calculus, and it seems dubious now. Great job quoting the inst, but can you cite it too so we can dig deeper? O/w you'll prob end up with a lot of "sounds fishy to me" responses (like I just gave).

afwx

Booyahkah
I am applying for SWO I am Active Duty (8 years). I Graduated with a 3.8 GPA in Computer Science but my B.S program did not require me to do calc or physics. My Physics was transferred in from Smart transcript. I have seen that some people on here said that to apply for SWO you have to have a year of calculus. But the instruction states :

(2) For submarine and surface warfare (NUCLEAR), in addition to a baccalaureate degree or higher, applicants must have completed the following:
(a) One year (i.e., two semesters, two trimesters or three quarters) of college calculus through differential and integral calculus of one real variable with a grade of "C" or better. One semester/quarter/term must be taken "in the classroom." Waivers to this requirement may be granted by Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Nuclear Officer Program Manager (OPNAV (N133)) on a case by case basis.

I bolded the nuclear because I am not applying to become a nuke SWO just a regular SWO. Can someone clarify this if they have the information. Thank you very much.

My degree is similar to yours, I have a B.S. in CIS w/ absolutely 0 requirement for any physics or calc (although I do have a intro to physics w/ lab). I am also a prior. The only math I took was discrete math and college level algebra for my degree. You can throw in statistics a/o 2 business finance classes if you want to in regards to the math section. I completed OCS on 4 October and am a SWO-IW. I was originally selected as a SWO. <--------If that isn't proof for you, I don't know what is.

ABF2

My degree is similar to yours, I have a B.S. in CIS w/ absolutely 0 requirement for any physics or calc (although I do have a intro to physics w/ lab). I am also a prior. The only math I took was discrete math and college level algebra for my degree. You can throw in statistics a/o 2 business finance classes if you want to in regards to the math section. I completed OCS on 4 October and am a SWO-IW. I was originally selected as a SWO. <--------If that isn't proof for you, I don't know what is.

Thank you for your post. I too have taken statistics , and some business courses. what school did you go to? and can you posts your stats up so I can see how I measure up for selection. Thanks again.