• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about squadrons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ski3

Greetings,

Recently I took a look at this webpage: http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/allhands/Jan99/Janpg22a.htm#t39 ...and I got tons of questions. :)

I noticed that all of the C-2A Greyhound, C-9B Skytrain II, C-20D/G "Gulfstream", and C-130 Hercules squadrons are VR/VRC squadrons - I assume those are reserve squadrons. Is there a chance to get those planes straight out of flight school, or is it only available to guys who served out their commitment and go to the reserves? (I think I know the answer to this question, but I just want to be certain).

Also, I noticed the TA-4J Skyhawk is still up and flying in two squadrons - one is a training (VT) squadron, while the other one is VC-8 "Redtails". What are the chances of flying the Skyhawk when in the training pipeline? I think it would be a blast since, after all, it was once a REAL strike fighter. Also, what kind of squadron is VC-8? (what do they do?)

Finally, I noticed some "special" squadrons -one operating the RQ-2A Unmanned POS (yuck!), one operating the F-5 (I am guessing its the aggressor squadron), but what are those three "VX" squadrons? The webpage lists them as operating various types of aircraft - are those some sort of testpilot squadrons?

Looking forward to the replys,

Jack

Ski3

Thanks Matt

Being very interested in aviation, both civilian and military, I always liked the DC-9 (not the MD-80/82/83/87/90s, just DC-9s). Just a year ago the last few DC-9s were retired from airline fleets (Northwest, USAirways, TWA), and I did not like the fact that I would never have a chance to fly one of my all time favorite birds.

Do you think the Skytrains (military DC-9s) will stay with the navy for another 10 years or so? ...I heard rumours that the navy bought 737s to replace the C-9Bs.

Jack

Lewisinhk

I had a quick question about going in as active duty, "Navy Reserves Officer" vs "Navy Officer": as a reserves officer will I be limited to only those squadrons that are reserve squadrons?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ski- Sorry my friend, you probably won't get the opportunity to fly the C-9B, at least for the Navy. They will all be 737-700's in the next 5 years. Generally, all personnel are reservists except for the small active duty contigent which provides structure for the squadron when the reservists aren't available. Most of the active duty are generally aviators who have had a platform retired and are to senior to transition to another platform ie. A-6E and I'm sure soon to follow will be F-14 pilots. The Marine Corps will probably continue to fly the C-9B until the wings fall off. Shoot the Marine Corps didn't retire the DC-3 until 1986 when they purchased the C-9B's. The SOES squadron is in Cherry Point and flown by active duty pilots. More then 3/4's of the pilots in this squadron are former helicopter pilots who are in their twilight tour before retirement. Great deal for a helo guy transitioning to the airlines. All those aircraft you mentioned are "later years" platforms at the end of your career except for the C-2.
The TA-4J will eventually be all T-45C's. VC-8 is an pseudo-agressor squadron/missle profile, fleet support squadron. I could potentially see there aircraft vanishing but replaced by older F-18's. This is another dead end or twilight tour. Typing cramps, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Looks like I'm a little late for this topic and I'm new to this site but I'll chime in. I'm a C-2A pilot and instructor at VAW-120. To get into C-2's, a person would have to select the E-2/C-2 community out of primary and then hopefully select C-2's when they get to the FRS. The COD's are pretty much desired by most of the sudents so if the class doesn't like the drawing names out of a hat, it usually comes down to grades in flight school. The other aircraft you mentioned are flown by Navy TAR/reserve squadrons.

jso

bunk-I am an SNA and am about to start in Kingsville with the first class of E2/C2 students being trained here vice Meridian. Can you shed any light on how if at all the gap in student flow is likely to effect selection when we get there? Also, I haven't had many opputunities to speak with C2 pilots. What are the pluses and minuses of C2's, besides the standard answer of "they don't spend as much time on the boat." Thanks in advance for any info.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by jso
bunk-I am an SNA and am about to start in Kingsville with the first class of E2/C2 students being trained here vice Meridian. Can you shed any light on how if at all the gap in student flow is likely to effect selection when we get there? Also, I haven't had many opputunities to speak with C2 pilots. What are the pluses and minuses of C2's, besides the standard answer of "they don't spend as much time on the boat." Thanks in advance for any info.

You will probably have some opportunity to speak with a few C-2 instructors in Kingsville. I good buddy of mine, Chris Duffy, is a TAR instructor down there. Anyway, the VRC community always needs pilots. Not sure how the gap will affect the selection, if at all though.

As far as pluses and minuses go, that probably depends on the individual. Spending less time on the boat (both during cruise and work-ups), flying to the boat day only (excluding DET-5 Japan), per diem (I made $9,800 in 3 mos), flying to several different countries, being away from the front office, etc, might be considered a plus to some. On the other hand, if one wants to be an airwing qualified LSO, compete for Top Nugget/Ten, fly at night around the boat, not have to fly old and outdated aircraft, etc, then flying COD's might be a negative.

As for me, it's been great. I started off at VRC-30 flying day/night at the boat and stayed on the boat during the entire cruise. Became squadron qualified LSO and had a great time. On my next cruise, VRC-30 went back to doing things the old way, day only, staying on the beach. So I stopped waving, made some money, but generally felt really separated from the airwing. I really liked the first cruise (the OIC had a lot to do with it though) and the way we flew. The one thing I would personally change is flying to the boat at night. It's not fun but I really believe it makes a pilot a better ball flyer. Flying day only, we just don't get enough practice both at the field and at the boat.

I'm sure you'll enjoy flying either one but just know, and this is fact, that C-2 pilots are better looking, drink harder, and are generally superior pilots to their E-2 bretheren
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.