• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinHigh

I just took the PFT last Tuesday, I did alright but my run time was a lil slow around 23:30 or something, I wasnt medically cleared to run because of a strain in my patellar tendon. I only ran because my OSO made it sound like I had to have a PFT in order to go in front of the board. But now my leg hurts like hell, and I was wondering since the board for PLC is meeting in like two weeks if I will have to PFT any time soon or do I have time to rehab it so it doesnt flare up at PLC Jr's next summer? Any insight please..

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Take it easy with that leg right now or else something else worse might develop and you'll be PERMANEANTLY NPQ.

35_NSS

FlyinHigh said:
I just took the PFT last Tuesday, I did alright but my run time was a lil slow around 23:30 or something, I wasnt medically cleared to run because of a strain in my patellar tendon. I only ran because my OSO made it sound like I had to have a PFT in order to go in front of the board. But now my leg hurts like hell, and I was wondering since the board for PLC is meeting in like two weeks if I will have to PFT any time soon or do I have time to rehab it so it doesnt flare up at PLC Jr's next summer? Any insight please..

A little slow???? Hell, with a time like that your OSO could of timed you with a sun-dial.

FlyinHigh

sorry i wasnt running to my full ability, i mean **** my leg is ****ed up
what the hell am i supposed to do, i am looking for some answers not some ******* comments

WTFover

Arctic Alpha
If you had round about a 250 on your PFT you could be okay for the board. But go get it checked out since you don't ship for 9 mos.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
Ya, you have alot of time, when I was applying, they ran the final PFT like the week before shipping...so I assume you would have plenty of time to heal.

Raptor2216

If you can't run then I would highly recommend that you pick up some other cardio regiment. I was getting shin splints up the wazoo prior to shipping for seniors this summer and for the last 2-3 weeks I did very little or no running. Instead, i made sure I did plenty of biking and hiking and it helped me tremendously. I actually did better on my run not having ran at all for almost 2 weeks prior to my in PFT...that run turned out to be 19:45. So, take it from me, biking and hiking will go a long way if you are injured and cannot run. When I say biking, i don't mean just go and ride around the block. If you are near some mountians or hills, go find some trails and spend an hour or two riding as hard as you can and the same applied to hiking. Just my 2 cents.

GTIGirlVR6

I see another person with shin splints...what should I do? How did you make it through jr.s? And what things are allowed to help relieve them...looking for some guidance.

Off the subject...any weight gain tips? Whats going to happen if I am underweight at JR's?

d_bossart

The only thing you can do for shin splints is to not run and let them heal completely. I didnt run for over 2 months before reporting to seniors because I had shin splints so bad. Luckily I was running an 18:30 three mile and the more than 2 months off didnt hurt me that bad. I found that swimming was an excellent workout to keep in cardio shape. Also, boxing is a tremendous workout. You dont have to be freaking Mike Tyson either, just do 2-3 min rounds on a heavy bag.

Raptor2216

Definately, there are plenty of replacemtns for running if you are a good/decent runner to start with. Swim, bike, hike, box...the list goes on. I would recommend biking and swimming because its very low impact...which is what you want.

Dustball

2nd LT
GTIGirlVR6 said:
I see another person with shin splints...what should I do? How did you make it through jr.s? And what things are allowed to help relieve them...looking for some guidance.

Off the subject...any weight gain tips? Whats going to happen if I am underweight at JR's?

Just a few tips for shin splints. Like bossart said you need to take some time off and let them heal. I don't know about two months but whatever it takes to get healed. Then avoid running on hard surfaces such as concrete or blacktop. Run on soft dirt trails or grass if at all possible, you will be amzed at the difference. After running take some ice and rub down the affected area for about 10 min. Know your own limits. Some people can run 40 miles a week and their legs are strong enough to handle,others less. Push yourself but know when you need to take a couple days off. On days you don't run do something low impact swim, bike, elliptical, whatever just stay active. As far as gaining weight eat, eat, then eat some more. Eat things high in protein, or try weight gainer. Hope this helps.

usmcecho4

pilot
heel cups

I ran track for 8 years in the long distance department so I know a little bit about shin splints. What will really help with shin splints are heel cups. They are silicone/rubber pieces that go over your heels and act as shock absorbers so your lower legs don't get so battered. You can find them at pretty much any drug store/target and they are under $20 so they're not too expensive. Train safe.

kill,
usmcecho4

the attached pic is what you should look for when you go to the store

Attachments

• ortho-10010.jpg
    ortho-10010.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 35

livefast

FlyingHigh--I had a similar problem. I fractured the tibia in my left leg last spring from too much running. The Orthopedic doctor who treated me told me not to do any running for at least 2 months, but that non-impact cardio (swimming, cycling) was okay. I told my OSO, and he told me not to worry about my PFT--just to get better. I ended up missing PLC '04 because my package couldn't be put together in time, but I'm now fully recovered and ready to go. My advice: lay off the running for a couple of months. These types of injuries are extremely slow to heal and you may do further damage if you keep pounding it. In the mean time, do non-impact cardio and resistance training. Ice the injured area for no more than 15 minutes every day. Also, don't worry about the comment by 35 NSS. He is no gentleman, and if the tables were turned and he was treated like that I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated.

pjxc415

pilot
35_NSS said:
A little slow???? Hell, with a time like that your OSO could of timed you with a sun-dial.

Hey 35_NSS ~

What's your run time? You sound like a pretty cocky mofo, way to be positive and helpful ... If I see you at OCS I'm leaving you in the dust.

Greaper007

You're entering a world of pain
I don't want to appear indignant, however, I don't understand how being underweight is a problem if your pft is good. Is this because of the long hikes in full gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.