• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about pilot option

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

riddick

When I apply for the FY06 cycle pilot option do I need flight exp to get picked up for this option. I was reading another post in another forum. They were saying they did not get picked up because of no flight exp. If someone could please clear that up I would appreciate it Thank you.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You do not need flight exp. to get picked up. I had none and look where it got me.

R

riddick

I am new to this forum so please go easy on me. I am 22 currently enlisted in the Navy in Willow Grove, PA. I'm an AT picked up second class po last September, I will have 3 years of service in September. My current enlistment will be up next Sep 05. I have always wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, however my eyes were bad at 20/200. I joined the military and the AT rate hoping that one day maybe my chances would change since at the time the navy wasnt approving refractive surgery. This past Jan I had PRK surgery done in Bethesda, MD. So now I am looking to finally starting my dream. I am going to try the STA 21 program hoping this is my best chance.

A question about STA21 is that they only give you 10k a year. That doesnt really seem to be a lot especially if you have to go year round to get your degree. I currently have about 30 or so credits in electronics which would be good if i wanted that degree. Im not really that sure if i do.

Basically what i am asking is what does the STA program look that they use against other applicants. Also what can i do to make myself look even better. Am i picking the right program? Thanks again sorry about the long post.

Crowbar

None
riddick said:
A question about STA21 is that they only give you 10k a year.

That's a helluva lot more than most people get. The STA 21 students I go to school with buy motorbikes and jet skis with that money. Only give you 10k a year...oh the humanity! :icon_wink

Edit: By "most people" I mean MECEPs, MIDN, and regular old civilian students rarely get that much cash thrown at them.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
STA 21 is a great program. Do a search on this site and you will find a ton of info about the program.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
Don't let Crowbar's post mislead you. The Navy will pay up to $10,000 a year for books and tuition, and that's it. Of course, any other financial aid you receive on top of that will be yours to decide what to do with, once your accounts with the school are settled. If you're seriously interested in the program, shop around. There are quite a few schools out there where $10,000 goes a long way.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Riddick,
The STA-21 program is an even better program than its predicessor, the ECP program. I didn't get a dime from Uncle Sam when I went through the ECP program (except E-6 pay), so no complaints about the $10K. If you do your homework, you should be able to find lots of schools (state schools) that $10K will cover everything. Remember, because you will be on orders, most schools will give you the "in-state" rate for tuition.

As for what makes you competitive: Performance, Preformance, Performance! Academic (college), Work (Evals, Ranking, Quals, Awards, EAWS/ESWS/etc, Sailor of the ____(fill in the blank), Command recommendation, Major (technical preferred), SAT and ASTB scores.

You will be going up against other applicants. Make sure that you do everything in your power to include everything that you've done...heck I included my Honor certificate from 'A' school in the appendix. Make the board want to select you. Have your Division Officer & chain of command look at your package. Follow the OPNAVNOTE to the letter and make sure your package is squared away.

Good Luck!
ea6bflyr

riddick said:
I am new to this forum so please go easy on me. I am 22 currently enlisted in the Navy in Willow Grove, PA. I'm an AT picked up second class po last September, I will have 3 years of service in September. My current enlistment will be up next Sep 05. I have always wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid, however my eyes were bad at 20/200. I joined the military and the AT rate hoping that one day maybe my chances would change since at the time the navy wasnt approving refractive surgery. This past Jan I had PRK surgery done in Bethesda, MD. So now I am looking to finally starting my dream. I am going to try the STA 21 program hoping this is my best chance.

A question about STA21 is that they only give you 10k a year. That doesnt really seem to be a lot especially if you have to go year round to get your degree. I currently have about 30 or so credits in electronics which would be good if i wanted that degree. Im not really that sure if i do.

Basically what i am asking is what does the STA program look that they use against other applicants. Also what can i do to make myself look even better. Am i picking the right program? Thanks again sorry about the long post.

Status
Not open for further replies.