• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About NSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhatFarmer35

Hello:

I was a little confused about the NSS. I know the NSS is the score you recive based on your performance in Primary Flight Training. However I was just wondering about what different parts make up the NSS? Is Primary Flight Traning ONLY flight training? Or is there a lot of math and science classes involved? Also, what type of flight training is done? I guessing everything from taking off and landing to formation flying. How advanced does Primary Flight training get? Does it include carrier landings?

I read on older posts that you shouldn't spend your time worrying about getting a good NSS as opposed to flying as well as possible. I just wanted to know as much as the NSS as possible. Is is just a score that rates strictly how well you fly the aircraft?

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
As a primary student a few weeks away from finding out that mysterious NSS number, I can answer some of the questions:

Primary only? That's been debated on this site and in every primary ready room. My understanding is that it only includes primary flights and sims (everything after the first 5 sims and 4 flights...comes out to be 71 events, mostly flights). Some say it includes primary ground school tests and/or API tests. It'd be nice if a STUCON employee could come forward and settle this once and for all...

How advanced does primary get? With the new syllabus that's been going for almost a year now, primary includes FAMS (basic learn-to-fly-and-deal-with-insane-emergency flights), precision aerobatics, formation flights, basic instruments, radio instruments, and visual navigation. The basic and radio instrument flights include simulator events. Some of the later radio instrument/nav flights usually happen as part of a cross country. It's all done in the T-34, so there's definitely no carrier landing or anything of that sort...only advanced jet and E2/C2 guys do that.

From what I've seen, it's really hard to know what to expect from the NSS. People who think they've done really good come out disappointed with their final score, while others were suprised with how well they did. In short, I have no clue what I'll get in the end, so there's no point in stressing over it...i'll just give it my all for the last flights and let the rest take care of itself

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
One's NSS is derived solely from the magical elf, or maybe its a gnome, who waves his magic wand and presto, there's your NSS. Flying has absolutely nothing to do with it, never has, never will! :icon_tong

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
it is a monkey who slings his own crap at a board with numbers 1-80. They let him out on Wed nights, he slings some #(it for a few hours and then the results are released, and the monkey feasts for another week to build up more crap.

PhatFarmer35

Thank you for replying.

About Primary Flight Training, all you do is learn how to fly correct? You don't take any classes about math and science or anything like that right?

Also, is there anything you can do before API and Primary to help prepare you?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
not in primary yet, but I'm *pretty* sure I can answer this one:

no math or science, meaning they don't teach you how to do calculus. they will probably however require you to be able to calculate things like rates, fractions, proportions, etc. They teach to the lowest common denominator.

People that have never been inside of an airplane can still be, and regularly are, taught how to fly the navy way. Don't stress, take life easy until you get here and actually start API. I worried when I got here, but it was all for naught.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
1 week of T-34C systems classes, very dumbed down.
1 week of metro
1 week of Instrument ground school, prob the hardest class, but still very doable.

As far as math, the most math there is going to be is using a wiz wheel, but it is not hard.

skyhigh32

bluesmobile is a professional "serantor" of women. He can pick guitar strings at 3 am with the best of them. So it would be only logical that he will have the answers to the NSS mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.