• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about NFO school

c_s

I just got picked up for NFO. This may be a stupid question, and if someone could point me in the right direction for an answer that would be much appreciated.

Does the school have classes on a rolling basis, or is it comparable to a college - one start date for all students. I'm basically wondering if I'll finish OCS in March '10 and wait until the fall to start classes, or if I go from OCS right to Pensacola.

Thanks

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
It is comparable to to a water molecule in the stream of water in a hose.

You start a certain time, and then things get a little crazy, and at some point you get spewed forth into the fleet.

So...kind of like college depending on how your college experience was.

But yeah, they generally have classes starting every 2 weeks.

P3 F0

None
Of course, there's always the possibility you'll pool up at Pcola and wait a while before starting.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, you will pool up at Pcola and wait a long damn time before starting.

Fixed it for you.

FWIW, we're moving toward holding students at their commissioning sources vice pooling them at P'cola. Less idle hands for ensign shenanigans. But there is a fairly substantial wait between check-in and class-up.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
FWIW, we're moving toward holding students at their commissioning sources vice pooling them at P'cola. Less idle hands for ensign shenanigans. But there is a fairly substantial wait between check-in and class-up.

You mean less idle hands for NASC to deal with. There will still be ensign shenanigans.... just not in Pensacola.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it has something to do with the collecting of the idle ensign hands in Pensacola. When you only have a couple stashed at a ROTC unit, there are only a couple idle hands/brains to play stupid ensign tricks. Collect them all down in one place by the beach, it seems to magnify the stupidity it seems.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure how much sense that makes, holding all the new Ensigns at their commissioning source. At least when they are in P-Cola, they are there and ready to start at the drop of a hat, whether it be IFS or API. If you hold Ensigns up in Rhode Island once they graduate, they will have to get a place out in town and enter into a lease. You can't expect these guys to get a place out in town for 4 months before being brought down to P'cola, thats ridiculous. The only way I can see that worth anything is if they start having them go through IFS in the Newport area. (but with all the wind and crappy weather, thats probably not a great idea either)

cclement

None
If you hold Ensigns up in Rhode Island once they graduate, they will have to get a place out in town and enter into a lease. You can't expect these guys to get a place out in town for 4 months before being brought down to P'cola, thats ridiculous.

As a stashed ensign at an ROTC unit, I must say I had no problem getting a lease in New Orleans (logistically or personally). I was not too disappointed when I was told my medical was delayed and there was no way I'd make my late June class date. I'd love to stay here as long as possible... haha

Casual

Jammin'
None
I'm not sure how much sense that makes, holding all the new Ensigns at their commissioning source.

Probably they are thinking about doing this for ROTC and Academy people. There aren't really that many aviators that come out of OCS when compared to ROTC and the Academy. Just a guess, of course.

P3 F0

None
Fixed it for you.
See, I tried to couch my language because it's been about 13 years since I've had any clue what's going on down there. For all I know, someone in the know was about to tell me NASC was fixed, there was no more pool, and guys were actually graduating on time. I should have known better.

If you hold Ensigns up in Rhode Island once they graduate, they will have to get a place out in town and enter into a lease. You can't expect these guys to get a place out in town for 4 months before being brought down to P'cola
I don't get this. Doesn't it all depend on how the orders are written? Give the ensigns 12 mo stash orders and there won't be any problem. Once the new set comes in (hopefully before 12 mos), the lease gets broken (legally) and the ensign moves.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
I'm not saying that this is ridiculous because they wouldn't be able to break their leases legally (or they may not, not sure about state laws up there), it just seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble for everyone, especially the new commissionees. Whether the new guys get in trouble up in the northeast or down in P'cola, the only difference is who has to deal with it. Its not fixing a problem, its passing the buck.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Probably they are thinking about doing this for ROTC and Academy people. There aren't really that many aviators that come out of OCS when compared to ROTC and the Academy. Just a guess, of course.

My OCS class had 12 SNA/SNFO types. The average was probably around 8-10 per class. So, thats 8-10 graduating every 2 weeks.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
You can't expect these guys to get a place out in town for 4 months before being brought down to P'cola, thats ridiculous.

WHY NOT? What about the pilot studs who go to Pensacola for 6 weeks for API, then move to Corpus for 6 months for Primary, then move back to Whiting for 6 months for Advanced Helos and wings? Or the Osprey guys.... Pensacola for API (6 weeks), then to Corpus for Primary (6 months), then back to Whiting for helos (3-4 months), then back to Corpus AGAIN for multi-engine and wings (3-4 months).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You can't expect these guys to get a place out in town for 4 months before being brought down to P'cola, thats ridiculous.

Yes you can. Remember, the Navy owns their (and your) ass now. I had to get a place for 6 weeks after I got commissioned.

When I was informed that I could change my service selection to NFO from SWO, I was also told that I'd not report to P-Cola until Oct/Nov 2005. So I got a place to live just north of Annapolis. Near the middle of June, I got order saying report NLT 31 July 05. I moved out on 15 July and drove down to P-Cola.

So yeah... you can expect that. Short turn around on orders. I have yet to have a long enough turn on my orders to get shit done the way its supposed to be during a PCS.