• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about moving to TBS

outlawz2323

Hello

I was recently comissioned and I report to TBS on june 15th. here is my question. Currently, I am doing PTAD with my local OSO office. According to my orders, I will be doing a PCS to TBS when it comes time for that. So, will the government pay for moving all my stuff to TBS??? going along with that same question, since I will not be able to have all my stuff on base in my room at TBS, will they also store it??? I imagine I wont be able to take my bed, dresser, etc. and be able to put it in my small dorm sized room at TBS. any insights would be greatly appreciated. Also, who do I talk to in repect to my PCS move???

usmcecho4

pilot
If you're living in the Q don't bring anything more than you can fit in your car. The rooms are small and you won't need much more than your uniforms and what they issue. If you want to move all your furniture wait 'til you go to your first permanent duty station and use your home of record move or buy new ****.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Seriously, don't bring much at all. There isn't any room to put anything as it is, and then when you get put into a room with 5 guys (1 brown bagger, who still thinks he should bring all kinda of $hit too), you have literally no room... Bring some clothes for libbo time, and your cammies and that will be about all you need. You can get a little storage unit in town if you want, but you really wont have much personal time. Leave the stuff at home and do the home-of-record move after TBS. Good luck, s/f.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
devil_dog said:
Seriously, don't bring much at all. There isn't any room to put anything as it is, and then when you get put into a room with 5 guys (1 brown bagger, who still thinks he should bring all kinda of $hit too), you have literally no room... Bring some clothes for libbo time, and your cammies and that will be about all you need. You can get a little storage unit in town if you want, but you really wont have much personal time. Leave the stuff at home and do the home-of-record move after TBS. Good luck, s/f.

Regardless of what some may think brown baggers still need to have the gear in the Q that they will need for daily ops. That means most everything Marine Corps related will need to be there.

But yeah, like has been said...don't bring much...

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
jamnww said:
Regardless of what some may think brown baggers still need to have the gear in the Q that they will need for daily ops. That means most everything Marine Corps related will need to be there.

But yeah, like has been said...don't bring much...
I agree totally, that was me doing more venting about my roommate ...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
HOR moves

The Home-of-Record move mentioned above is a one-time deal at any period in your career. The movers will go there and pick up your stuff (or whatever ma and pa tell them to take) and take it to your destination. Don't even bother with a storage unit in town, unless it's something you really want access to. Bring some clothes, all your military gear, a computer, and basic entertainment needs. If it fits in your car, it'll fit in the Q. You can then dity-move to your school(s), and get your household goods delivered there, or wait until you hit your duty station. You want to remain light and mobile at TBS, since you'll be switching rooms 3 or 4 times.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Contact TMO at your local military base (If you're near one) or the one at Marine Corps Base Quantico. They will be able to help you as far as moving your stuff. However, I agree with the person above. If you can't fit it in your car and drive it down there, then you really don't need it.

VAmookie

OK, all these guys have given some good info, but here's the deal. If you're single and living in the Q, these items are a must have: Computer, printer (scan and copy capability is ideal), stereo (boom box, 5.1, computer speakers, just have something trust me), microwave, t.v., plenty of civy clothes, coffee machine, and whatever else. Obviously if you drive a toyota tercel, you might have a hard time getting a large stereo and tv into your trunk, but if you can fit it, TAKE THESE ITEMS. You will hear people say that you dont need a tv cause you wont have time to watch it. Thats true, BUT... there will come a day where you'll want to gouge your eyeballs cause you got off work early, dont have money to go drink, to tired to go anywhere, and there is nothing else going on with others in the Q, and you'll just wish you had a fcuking tv to watch. bring that sh1t, trust me