• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about Military ID

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ask as much as you want about a military discount. You're part of the military right?

I tend to not use my military ID out at bars, just personal preference. I have friends who use theirs all the time.

What he said. Also, some places (usually military towns) couldn't give a shit you're in the military and will often not accept that form of ID under the guise of the excuse (well, we can't scan it, so we can accept it) despite the fact that an AZ driver's license looks completely fake and would be much easier to acquire a fake than a mil ID.

But ya... ask away. Get as MUCH in the way of discounts as you can. The navy will take as much as it can out of you, might as well reciprocate.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
I'm in BDCP and wasn't required to wear a uniform while taking the picture. The black sweater I was wearing in the pic makes it impossible to see my birth date on the back so I don't use it at bars anyway. I always use it when paying by credit card for ID though. I've gotten a few discounts that way.

m26

Contributor
I'm in BDCP and wasn't required to wear a uniform while taking the picture. The black sweater I was wearing in the pic makes it impossible to see my birth date on the back so I don't use it at bars anyway.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I didn't even realize my DOB was on there until this thread came up. You can see the 8, though, so unless the bartender thinks I'm 12 (or 2) I think I should get beer. Sadly, I don't think that would fly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You guys are all forgetting a very important perk.....getting your cover charge waived at a strip club by showing a military ID. Happens at least 50% of the time.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
^. We have a winner for the best discount. Works with Fire Dept ID too, sometimes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Military discounts are part of your pay and benefits, so if they are offered then you should use them. I've noticed that most of the people who are timid about it in this thread are BDCP people. Once you work a few 100 hour work weeks in port or spend holidays out to sea with no extra money to show for it, you won't feel so bad about getting those discounts. So get them now because the Navy is going to get their money's worth with you and then some.

I do echo the advice to use your head though...in military heavy towns or upscale establishments, it's much less likely that you will get the discount. However, for movies/hotels/strip clubs out of your homeport area, use the military ID. EG: whenever I go to NYC to chill with friends from back home, I use the military ID and usually get the $20-40 cover waived. When I'm out in Newport, though, then a military ID gets you nothing. Just don't around expecting it or acting like you're entitled to it.

Regarding retailers, a lot of times the employees at retail places are trained to not give the discount unless asked, though, so you shouldn't feel bad for asking. Some google-fu will reveal a lot of big retail companies that give the 10% discount.

One time I went to the Met in NYC in my blues and not only did they give free admission to me and everyone with me, they gave us discount coupons for the restaurant.
The Met, along with most if not all NYC museums, is technically free for everyone; they just have "suggested donations." You would get funny looks from the employees for it, but you could pay $.25 if you wanted and have every right to walk into the museum.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Military discounts are part of your pay and benefits
Bullshit. They are a privilege granted by certain retailers/enterprises out of appreciation for service memebers. They should not be expected nor taken for granted.
so if they are offered then you should use them.
This is true. Ask, but if they are not available, be gracious. Don't demand one or berate the establishment/employee for not offering one (I've seen both happen too often.)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Got a champagne toast and my dinner comped in Providence on leave from OCS. General rules apply. Use it, but don't be a douche.

Oh, and discounts are inversely proportional to proximity to military installations/towns. In a military town you'll get jack nothing. Non-military towns it's game on. In my limited experience, this also applies to women.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Oh, and discounts are inversely proportional to proximity to military installations/towns. In a military town you'll get jack nothing. Non-military towns it's game on. In my limited experience, this also applies to women.

Agreed. And in my limited experience traveling around the country in the clownjet, girls' interest in the fact that you fly Navy jets is directly proportional to your proximity to Oklahoma.

chk13

Just in case anyone is interested, their is a website dedicated to listing all national chain stores, resteraunts, fast food, and almost anything else you can think of that offer a military discount. Of course that does not help for local institutions, but it does take some of the guess factor out. I believe it is actually called militarydiscounts.com or close to it. All you have to do is google it and it will pop up.

BUDU

I don't use it that often for discounts, because chances are any place that has a military discount has a student discount of the same amount--and being in BDCP, well, that would make you a student. I look pretty young, so people usually assume I'm a student anyway. Less hassle, especially since student discounts are more widely advertised.