• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about MEPS and medical records and confidentiality.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
My question is how confidential are your medical records in the NAVY? I ask because at meps during physical we were required to have a physical done by the doctors there and disclose our medical history on paper. If you checked yes on any of the boxes, you had to elaborate on it at the end of the page. When physical was completed, you were required to take your confidential information down to the office and hand it to the person at the front desk who is not a doctor but another Navy member. In my on personal experience, myself an the others who were with me all bought our papers to the desk and the person at the desk proceeded to look through them as though it was information that open for them to review. With that said, is it that easy for someone to get a hold of someones records and observe as they please or do we have the same level of confidential privacy as we did as civilians? Can anyone in higher positions access anyones records at leisure?

exNavyOffRec

when it comes to civilian records you have to sign a release, I have NEVER seen the military try to get civilian records without the patient agreeing.

in most cases records are purged on a regular basis, I can't tell you how many times I tried to get records and was told "those are over 7 years old, they have been destroyed"

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
If you are really worried about personal privacy the military isn't going to be fun for you. Between SSN's, med records, background checks, HFC meetings, and a myriad of paperwork shuffles, your crap is out there everywhere.

Get used to it...

jcj

HIPAA (the Federal health care privacy law) applies to DOD but there are many exceptions to HIPAA. If the individual collecting the records is a member of the health care team (usually a corpsman in the Navy) and their job requires access to your record (such as if they are responsible for assembling your record for the physician to review - or entering your information into a computer) they fall under the "healthcare operations" exemption to HIPAA and will have access to your record. In general, anyone involved in providing you health care, including physical exams, will have access to your health records.

here is an article from a retired Air Force JAG with some specific information re: HIPAA and DOD.

http://www.americanbar.org/newslett...ine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/hipaamil.html

Hope this is helpful

skittle986

HIPAA (the Federal health care privacy law) applies to DOD but there are many exceptions to HIPAA. If the individual collecting the records is a member of the health care team (usually a corpsman in the Navy) and their job requires access to your record (such as if they are responsible for assembling your record for the physician to review - or entering your information into a computer) they fall under the "healthcare operations" exemption to HIPAA and will have access to your record. In general, anyone involved in providing you health care, including physical exams, will have access to your health records.

here is an article from a retired Air Force JAG with some specific information re: HIPAA and DOD.

http://www.americanbar.org/newslett...ine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/hipaamil.html

Hope this is helpful

Yes, that was helpful. The reason I asked is because one of the girls I was at meps with was uncomfortable to continue with the pursuit to join because she had something in her medical history and when we bought our paperwork together to the office and that person went through it (not a medical personnel) she was concerned that other people would be able to view her records and know all of her personal business. She was young so she was concerned about rumors if anyone got a hold of her information. I felt bad for her and didn't know what to say.

skittle986

If you are really worried about personal privacy the military isn't going to be fun for you. Between SSN's, med records, background checks, HFC meetings, and a myriad of paperwork shuffles, your crap is out there everywhere.

Get used to it...

I don't meaning regards to the navy getting info on a person for background checks, I'm talking about just regular Navy personal. Can ANYONE (you, or I) in the Navy access personal files. A clear example would be a person such as myself, if I wanted to know medical history on someone, can I call a friend that works in the office and ask them to read someones files. Thats a pretty immature example, but something along those lines. I guess what I am trying to say is can a an officer, chief petty officer, drill instructor or any other personal higher up the chain just access any navy persons medical history if they wanted to or is it only available to the navy medical personnel or those whom conduct the background checks? I hope that makes sense.

skittle986

when it comes to civilian records you have to sign a release, I have NEVER seen the military try to get civilian records without the patient agreeing.

in most cases records are purged on a regular basis, I can't tell you how many times I tried to get records and was told "those are over 7 years old, they have been destroyed"

I understand that aspect. I was referring to regular navy personnel. Ones who aren't associated with medical or background.

exNavyOffRec

Hope this is helpful

I was taking her question from the perspective of military accessing civilian records prior to enlistment, but your post actually answered the question she asked.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, that was helpful. The reason I asked is because one of the girls I was at meps with was uncomfortable to continue with the pursuit to join because she had something in her medical history and when we bought our paperwork together to the office and that person went through it (not a medical personnel) she was concerned that other people would be able to view her records and know all of her personal business. She was young so she was concerned about rumors if anyone got a hold of her information. I felt bad for her and didn't know what to say.

I can understand that, I have been surprised at some of the stuff I have read while screening documents for both men and women.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't meaning regards to the navy getting info on a person for background checks, I'm talking about just regular Navy personal. Can ANYONE (you, or I) in the Navy access personal files. A clear example would be a person such as myself, if I wanted to know medical history on someone, can I call a friend that works in the office and ask them to read someones files. Thats a pretty immature example, but something along those lines. I guess what I am trying to say is can a an officer, chief petty officer, drill instructor or any other personal higher up the chain just access any navy persons medical history if they wanted to or is it only available to the navy medical personnel or those whom conduct the background checks? I hope that makes sense.

I understand that aspect. I was referring to regular navy personnel. Ones who aren't associated with medical or background.

Unless they have a reason to access medical files, medical personnel and recruiters or accident investigators I presume among others, they don't just let anyone look at personal medical files in the military.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I would be less concerned about your medical record confidentiality and more concerned about your writing skills.

skittle986

Unless they have a reason to access medical files, medical personnel and recruiters or accident investigators I presume among others, they don't just let anyone look at personal medical files in the military.

Ok. That makes sense. I hope she finds this information and continues her pursuit to join.

On another note, please excuse the spelling and/or missing punctuation. I mostly respond from from my iPhone, and the spell check is so annoying! :p

Renegade One

None
Think it's been answered before, but the short answer is NO.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Yeah,
Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.