• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about M.I.P.'s...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Ok, I'm currently a freshman in college, and have been dealing with my roommate and his friends for the last 4 weeks, who keep harping on me (just turned 19) to go out drinking with them. Now, I know drinking isn't necessairly bad, but, it just isn't "my thing." And, first of all, I'm worried about these idiots bringing in some alcohol and getting myself stuck with an MIP (Minor In Possesion of alcohol) and was jus wondering, how much would that effect my chances becoming a Naval Aviator?

(I'm just asking this on a "what if" basis.) If anything, it will be a reason to tell these other goof-balls to leave me alone about it. (I had the pleasure of having some kid I've never seen come into my dorm room with my roommate and his other frinds, and pass-out cold on my floor.)

Anyway, any responses would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jason

"Fight to fly, fly to fight, fight to win."

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

jet_ifr

Boss,

I got an underage consumption @ age 20, and got accepted for an NFO spot (Marines) last summer. Go out and raise some hell with your roomate and your buddies, do some stupid shit that you'll laugh about later in life. You're in college, the time when you're supposed to learn about yourself and how you operate in life. But, be carefull, depending on your state's laws you could get into a world of shit, and it could haunt you the rest of your life. In SD where I'm from, if you get an MIP or MIC you loose your driver's license for a while (3-6 months), and can only drive to work, school etc., plus your car insurance goes through the roof. Anyway, go out and have fun, but be smart and careful about it. Have fun. Don't be "that guy" that doesn't want to have a good time b/c they are constantly worried about "what if." Keep things in perspective.

-John

Goose

SNA Meridian
Boss
Its College. Go out and have fun...this is the fun part of your life before you have to go out into the real world!! MIC, minor in consumption, didn't hold me back from pilot but it probably didn't help any either. Your a freshman quit worrying and take care of what you want to do.

Drive Fast Take Chances

tali264

Boss,
It seems like you don't really want to go out and party. That's fine. Don't let your friends talk you into doing something you don't want to. That's just stupid. Do whatever it is you feel like doing. Sometimes I don't go out on weekends either because I have other things to do or just don't feel like it. Other times I'm out all weekend. Just do whatever you want, not what other people want you to do.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Thanks for your input guys. And, don't worry, I'm having fun. But I'm not drinking either. I'm not worrying about anything, I was just asking about if it would have any impact on my future. It isn't going to change my idea of not WANTING to go out and party either way. And, I'm really more scared as to what my COLLEGE would do to me, being a flight technology major, than what the police could ever do to my record! haha! (For some reason the flight tech profs. don't take to kindly to that kind of stuff.)

Anyway, thank you all for your input. :)

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

Valion310

I'd say go out with your friends, have fun and if you want to drink that’s cool and if not then don't let them pressure you. I would exercise caution so you can avoid putting anything on your record. Little do most people know that the overwhelming majority of military flying slots include security clearances and despite irresponsible belief of the misinformed, having anything on your record will not be looked at kindly by ANY of the inspecting agencies. I know, I conduct investigations from time to time.

My advice, go have fun and just be responsible. I drank my rear end off when I was underage in the Navy, and with a little common sense I kept myself out of the spot light and out of trouble. [^]

Valion310 laughing at MadTV ...

FlyGirl

Boss I agree with Tali...be yourself. If you need to let off steam, then go do it..but be extra careful and don't get caught. I'll tell you, sometimes just going to a party sober and watching everyone else get drunk is great is fun in itself!!! I have watched quite a couple of college students do some pretty funny sh** while they are drunk...then they have no clue about what they did -- So I get the fun in telling them!! LOL ;)

But do have fun while you are in college and don't look back and have regrets.... :) I wouldn't trade my college years for anything.

tali264

Flygirl - Looks like we agree on lots of stuff [^]

I guess it's true what they say, great minds think alike [:D]

ghost_ttu

hmmmm I'm just wondering if flygirl is taking that as a compliment or an insult....[:p]

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

tali264

Of course a compliment, is there a greater one than being compared to me??? You're just jealous you can't be like me too
icon_smile_wink.gif

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Just speaking for myself here, but the things I learned while drunk in college are probably more important in life than the things I learned while sober. And I have a real job.

You call these guys idiots and goof-balls. Sounds to me like they're being college students and you're being uptight. Random people sleeping on your floor is nothing. Try hanging out with the guys who almost get you thrown in a Tijuana jail for pissing and puking all over a taxi. Be friends with the guy who knows how to throw a good bachelor party. Those guys/gals will teach you more about life than some nerdy professor. Funny thing is that's the good stuff that you remember. Not newton's 3rd law of being anal retentive. In the real world, people can spot "that guy" from a mile away.

If these guys are "harping" on you to go out with them, you must not be a complete tool or they wouldn't be asking. Go out with them and have fun. You don't have to drink if you don't want to.

Nothing personal, just my opinion.

ghost_ttu

I have to agree, and if you don't want to drink every crowd loves the guaranteed designated driver. Reminds me of the drew carey where the two guys are sober and they think the two chicks are drunk and he is showing our their intelligence is at head level and by the girls drinking the girl's intelligence is lowered from above that level down to their level. So they think they have a better chance with the chicks. Anyway thought I would share
icon_smile_wink.gif
Reguardless know your limits, protect your gpa, but you have to have fun.

ghost_ttu

I would think becoming an IP would require a high blood/alcohol level.

Status
Not open for further replies.