• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about I.F.S. program before flight school

NORRIS99

I know that you have to do the ifs program if you dont show up with a private pilots license....i'm wondering what is the best route to take....should i get a private pilots license before i go...or is ifs a better program and will it get me more prepared???....just want to know some detailed information about it and if anyone has done it...would they recommend it or not

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I know that you have to do the ifs program if you dont show up with a private pilots license....i'm wondering what is the best route to take....should i get a private pilots license before i go...or is ifs a better program and will it get me more prepared???....just want to know some detailed information about it and if anyone has done it...would they recommend it or not

IFS=Free

Pilots license= NOT FREE IN THE SLIGHTEST!

seriously, inless you wan't to get your PPL so you can fly around a girl or for your own reasons, don't bother thinking that youll be "better prepared".

Everyone gets the same wings when the graduate flight school, even those who had some flight experience before hand.

But hey, if you got some serious cash to burn, I'm not gonna stop you.

NORRIS99

ya haha i see where you're coming from...i just don't want I.F.S. to effect what choice i get (fixed wing, helo's, etc) when it comes time...id rather mess up with an instructor who has no say in my choice (private pilot instructor) than mess up in front of a military instructor....because they don't look at grades from a private pilots license...they just look at the license....do you know if it will effect your grades for selection if you do bad in IFS???

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
ya haha i see where you're coming from...i just don't want I.F.S. to effect what choice i get (fixed wing, helo's, etc) when it comes time...id rather mess up with an instructor who has no say in my choice (private pilot instructor) than mess up in front of a military instructor....because they don't look at grades from a private pilots license...they just look at the license....do you know if it will effect your grades for selection if you do bad in IFS???

As far as I have READ from SEARCHING this site, IFS performance has nothing to do with selection.

I'm currently doing flight training because it is part of my major and I can tell you that I am bleeding money. Spend the money on Beer and Blow, and wait till you start getting paid to fly, to fly. It's an easy and logical choice.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
IFS has absolutely no bearing on your selection, simply because not everyone does it. It can't.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

rjmayer

I already have my PPL, but I got it in high school and have only flown sparingly in college. With OCS this summer I probably won't fly at all, which means by the time I'm done with senior year and TBS it will have been about two years or more without consistent flying. Is there a chance I could request to take IFS, or is it so basic that I could just take a few refresher flights out of my own pocket?

MettGT

pilot
I already have my PPL, but I got it in high school and have only flown sparingly in college. With OCS this summer I probably won't fly at all, which means by the time I'm done with senior year and TBS it will have been about two years or more without consistent flying. Is there a chance I could request to take IFS, or is it so basic that I could just take a few refresher flights out of my own pocket?

I recommend the search function. But no, you won't be able to do IFS.

torpedo0126

if you have a PPL, or have completed a XCountry solo you will be waived from IFS.

you can always go to a local airport and pay the $60-80 for a "discovery" flight to get the feel back.

I feel like its way more waste of an effort to yell at someone about the search function than just answer their question. Its not like you have to click on their post...