• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about getting into OCS for Intel

Merc

I recieved a 50 on my OAR and understand this is close to the median score. Is this competitive to get into OCS for intel or do I defenitly need to retake the test?

Cornellianintel

Merc said:
I recieved a 50 on my OAR and understand this is close to the median score. Is this competitive to get into OCS for intel or do I defenitly need to retake the test?

Hey Merc,

It's really difficult to assess the competitiveness of your score in a vacuum. It will really depend on the rest of your package and qualifications. I can tell you that the average score (last time I was able to check the CRNC) was 52. I know of applicants who have gotten in with lower and applicants who were rejected with higher.

Take care,
Chris

CDumas821

I got a 52 on my OAR and got in, but that was 3 years ago and there have been several community changes that may affect inital Navy accessions to OCS Intel. First the good: no longer are flight attrites or those NPQ'd (Not Physically Qualified) from flight school able to transfer to another community, they are given their walking papers from the Navy (they are slightly more leinient with the NPQ cases over the attrites), so there is no more quota competition from them. Now the bad: the major community deficiencies exist in the senior LT and junior LCDR billets where the ENS and LTJG manning is at 110% so what the Navy has done is to induce more LTJG SWOs to lateral transfer to intel to fill the immediate LT and nominally the LCDR deficiences, but since the number allowed into the community grows or retracts by directive of congress, the community has not seen a major influx of new accession therefore you have more people filling fewer billets. How does this effect you? The number of OCS accessions to the 1630 community (intel) has been reduced and to stem the loss of existing ENS billets, the inital sea tours have been moved from 24mos to 30mos.
So here's the story for you:
Overmanned in ENS billets+Fewer OCS accessions+Longer initial sea tours= 50 (or even my 52) might not cut it alone, so have a strong application from other standpoints: GPA, community service, language skills (Chinese and Arabic are hot languages now).

Cornellianintel

CDumas821 said:
I got a 52 on my OAR and got in, but that was 3 years ago and there have been several community changes that may affect inital Navy accessions to OCS Intel. First the good: no longer are flight attrites or those NPQ'd (Not Physically Qualified) from flight school able to transfer to another community, they are given their walking papers from the Navy (they are slightly more leinient with the NPQ cases over the attrites), so there is no more quota competition from them. Now the bad: the major community deficiencies exist in the senior LT and junior LCDR billets where the ENS and LTJG manning is at 110% so what the Navy has done is to induce more LTJG SWOs to lateral transfer to intel to fill the immediate LT and nominally the LCDR deficiences, but since the number allowed into the community grows or retracts by directive of congress, the community has not seen a major influx of new accession therefore you have more people filling fewer billets. How does this effect you? The number of OCS accessions to the 1630 community (intel) has been reduced and to stem the loss of existing ENS billets, the inital sea tours have been moved from 24mos to 30mos.
So here's the story for you:
Overmanned in ENS billets+Fewer OCS accessions+Longer initial sea tours= 50 (or even my 52) might not cut it alone, so have a strong application from other standpoints: GPA, community service, language skills (Chinese and Arabic are hot languages now).

Welcome to the board, sir. It's great to have another Intel Officer to bother!

Best,
cac

Merc

Thankyou for all the excellent info. I will take the test again because I know I a better score can only help.