• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about getting in to flight school

steve0387

Hey guys, I'm an upcoming sophmore in college and I have had some recent interest in the naval aviation, or just aviation in general, and I was wondering what degree would best suit me for a spot in flight school.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
No one degree is best. I was history and made it through just fine. You'll often hear some sort of science or engineering, but truth be told it doesn't matter what your degree is if you're willing to devote the time and energy necessary to study and learn the material.

AppleCello

Im just applying now, but from all that I've heard its not so much about what subject, but rather about how well you do. Just maintain a really high GPA--and by studying something that YOU like, you will have an easy time doing it.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Agree with all of the above... I'm a computer science major SNFO right now, and am doing just fine. I know 3 history majors going through right now (one w/ a double in geology), and a Marine SNA that was a music education major...

Find something you'll enjoy studying, and study it hard. You'll have a better time in college, and have a better packegae to submit to the boards when you do apply.

Welcome to the boards, steve and best of luck to you.

Cheers,
Bubba

MasterBates

On the application thing, when I was selected for BDCP (2000), a 3.2 in a "Hard" major, (Engineering, Physics) would be favored over a 3.5 in an "Easy" major. (political science, management)

Basically, you major did not matter if you had a 3.5 or higher GPA, (at the time) but a "hard" major was "curved" to some effect.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Commissioning Score

This formula was posted for Navy Midshipmen by my CO last semester. He’s an O-6 NFO. My XO (O-5) is an NFO as well and he confirmed this formula. I couldn't find anything else like this posted on the forum so I thought it would be useful for some of you. Anyway, if you have anything proving this is wrong, let me know. Otherwise, I’m quite confident it’s reliable.

For NROTC service selection:

Commissioning Score:
GPA (out of 4.0) – 45%
Aptitude (out of 5.0) – 35%
Major (Engr=100, Tech=85, Lib Arts=75) – 10%
CO’s Points – 10%

Aviation Score:
Total Commissioning Score from above – 60%
AQR (out of 9) – 15%
PFAR (Pilots) or FOFAR (NFO) (out of 9) – 25%

(ASTB Min: Pilot – AQR 3, PFAR 4 / NFO – AQR 3, FOFAR 4)

Now to explain all that. The commissioning score is used to rank EVERYONE seeking a commission. It’s really just to see who will be commissioned. The aviation score is used to rank everyone going aviation.

However, keep in mind that these things go before boards. Just because you have a better score, doesn’t mean you are guaranteed anything. The Navy isn’t so bureaucratic that everyone becomes a number. Also, as I understand it, they can adjust these numbers every year, although I doubt there is much change. However, these numbers should give you a rough estimate of where you stand.

Hope this helps!

- CH

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, an engineering degree is more attractive than a liberal arts degree. That being said, once you're IN the program... in general it doesn't matter.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Last time I posted on a question like this, I said my engineering major was helpful in flight school. Every under water basket weaver on the site told me how they made it through with no problems. Also, stories abounded of engineers who were retarded.

SO, here is my disclaimer: Engineers can wash out and theology majors can get wings.

I found my engineering education to be helpful.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
For what it's worth, I had a relatively low GPA in an Economics major, but the 40% weight from a strong ASTB helped me immensely in getting a SNA slot.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Major in what you want dude. As long as you bust your a$$ once you get to flight school, no one will care what your major is. Unless it's something funny like Theatre or something...Then, we might make fun of you.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I was a music major (not theatre so I better not be made fun of - hehe). As unrelated as it is ... I found that being a music major helped a lot as you have to put in LOADS of work "on your own time", practicing and perfecting your instrument and the instructors (as in flight training) KNOW when you aren't really working. You can't game the system as a music major or a pilot. Either you know your sh#t or you don't.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was a music major (not theatre so I better not be made fun of - hehe). As unrelated as it is ... I found that being a music major helped a lot as you have to put in LOADS of work "on your own time", practicing and perfecting your instrument and the instructors (as in flight training) KNOW when you aren't really working. You can't game the system as a music major or a pilot. Either you know your sh#t or you don't.

Now that's an interesting spin on things. Never thought about a music major like that.

todd740

Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!!!
pilot
I was computer science for 2 years, didnt like it and switched to history, major doesn't matter, GPA, ASTB, and make sure your CO likes you.