• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

question about getting accepted into cryptology

Status
Not open for further replies.

pip

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what are truly competitive test scores if you want to go into crypto or intel. And do you know how things are weighted in the application process, i.e. GPA, life experience, recommendations, etc... also, is there anyone out there who could verify some of what I am hearing: the military is hungry for cryptology and intelligence officers but there is a 4 to 6 % acceptance rate. And finally, I scored a 125 on the DLAB - does anyone know how that will help my chances? Any infomation regarding getting accepted into either of these programs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

twidget

Deskaholic
pip,

Don't know about Intel, they were my second choice. I got selected for Crypto with a 62 7/7/7. I had a 3.2 GPA in Engineering Tech, excellent recommendations and officer interviews, and 12 years as an ET. I don't know anything about the DLAB.

Good Luck!

dividebyzero

You scored a 125?!
...and you don't have recruiters living in your yard, prostituting themselves to get you to become a linguist?! Strange. Maybe they've adjusted the scale, but based on when I took it, a 125 was an unrealistically high score, like a 1400 SAT.

Depending on how badly you wanna get the best language training in the world (and your capacity for masochism), you could graduate, do the CTI enlisted route for long enough to finish A school, and *then* go to OCS. But, that requires patience and an inhuman tolerance for pain ;-)

Problem is, as an officer, that DLAB really isn't going to matter initially, you won't be getting language training, your primary job will be that of a manager.

There's nothing specific as far as "life experiences" that'll sway your competitiveness one way or the other. Recommendations from other cryptology officers couldn't hurt, though, but isn't entirely necessary. As an OCS applicant w/ no prior enlisted experience, they'll mainly be looking at GPA and your major (anything technically, *especially* computer science.)

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
1400 on SAT is an unrealistically high score? Hmm, way to make someone's day.

Kobyra

sailorgloom

Originally posted by dividebyzero
Problem is, as an officer, that DLAB really isn't going to matter initially, you won't be getting language training, your primary job will be that of a manager.

As an officer be a leader. Let your chiefs manage! The officers may run the Navy, but the chiefs make sure the Navy runs.

It all depends on what you want to do. The gouge is correct WRT the importance of your DLAB and enlisted/officer cryptologist role acceptance.

-SG

jaydawg0043

Hi pip,
I just swore in for Intel last week. Had a 53 OAR and 3.7 GPA (Biology major). I had no major work experience as a civilian applying right after college but I was involved in quite a few clubs/intramurals. I also led some hiking trips, did volunteer work, and studied abroad, etc. My recruiter didn't push for many letters of Rec. - I only submitted 3 (2 Prof's and 1 former supervisor). I've also heard Intel and Crypto have been looking for applicants with a spotless criminal/credit record. My PRT was nothing special - about 78 sit-ups, 65 pushups, a little under 11 mins. on the run. No medical problems. I'm not sure how hungry the Navy is for Crypto/Intel officers but my recruiter had said the acceptance rates haven't been high (less than 10%). I imagine everything is weighted fairly equally and any weaknesses can be overcome by standing out in another area - maybe great recommendations or a solid motivational statement. Just put together the strongest application possible and see what happens.

pip

Hey guys, Thanks for taking the time to give me some info. It really helps. About the recruiters not prostituting themselves in my yard... the Navy basically told me no way - no chance even with my DLAB scores. All positions are filled for up to a year and the ones that open go to people who are already in. Does that ring true?
Anyway about Crypto or Intel - congrats to jaydawg0043. My GPA was a 3.3 in Linguistics. I have heard that's not teccnical. Oh well, we'll see how things end up. Thanks again to everyone!
pip

sailorgloom

As far as positions being filled up for a year, things may change. Check every month or so. Find out the quotas from the recruiter as far as which designators are being sought for this fiscal quarter/year. I doubt the fleet has the complete manning totally planned for the next year anyway. Anyway, if this is the case, get on the list of those waiting. Also, look at other designators.

-SG

twidget

Deskaholic
Pip,

I just talked to a guy who found out last week he was picked up for Crypto. So I'd say, no it's not closed, but very competitive. From what he heard there were only 3 selected out of a huge pool of apps.

dividebyzero

Originally posted by pip
Hey guys, Thanks for taking the time to give me some info. It really helps. About the recruiters not prostituting themselves in my yard... the Navy basically told me no way - no chance even with my DLAB scores. All positions are filled for up to a year and the ones that open go to people who are already in. Does that ring true?

See above WRT officer's getting DLI langauge training. If the recruiters however, told you that even with your scores you couldn't get in on the enlisted side as a linguist (CTI), then they're *seriously* yanking your chain.

If that were somehow the case, it'd be such an egregious error as to warrant reporting them for fraudulent recruiting practices, which I hope isn't the case.

But, if you're apply for OCS, it doesn't matter what your DLAB's are anyway.

JLH

Clearance issues

One thing to think about ... if you are the most linguistically gifted human being in the world but are incapable of being granted the clearance to be a CT(I,O,R,T,M ... whatever) or a 1645/15/10 (Crypto Officer), they can't access you into the Crypto field. Without the clearance to do the required job you are as useful as you-know-what on a bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.