• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about G-forces

Status
Not open for further replies.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
ENSsquid said:
well if he's flying with the longitudinal stick centered:

inverted exactly -1G
nose down, something less than +1G (maybe .9 or so)
vertical +1G plus the force accelerating him upwards (if he is indeed gaining altitude and not in a tail slide or maintaining constant altitude)

yeah, the question has been officially nuked.

This isn't exactly correct. He can be in a vertical climb or a dive and still feel 1G as long as his velocity does not change.

Since I assume they showed you just static pictures (I don't remember the exam, it's been a long time) and not a flight path, I am going to assume the plane is not moving, and therefore the plane is not accelerating and it's a bogus question. :icon_tong

Now seriously, if you want more helpful input we need to have more knowledge on the question.

Kobyra

E6286

OCC 191 Select
The question had a picture of the plane in four positions. Rightside up, heading straight up, upside down, and heading straight down (a loop). The question asked where in the picture would the pilot feel the most Gs? I said upsidedown, but from what I am reading, I am wrong.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
UInavy said:
Its the bottom of the loop.

Totally. The bottom of the loop is the only place where you can ADD the force vector of gravity to the force vector of centrifugal (yes, I know it's not a real force, but go do a 60° turn and tell me you didnt feel something) force.

In all the other parts of the loop, the force vectors will either not add up to the same amount, or cancel out.

Geese

You guys are dangerous.
ENSsquid said:
vertical +1G plus the force accelerating him upwards (if he is indeed gaining altitude and not in a tail slide or maintaining constant altitude)

Going straight up at a constant airspeed will not give you anything more than one G felt in that direction. Even if you are gaining altitude, it's unacellerated flight.

Going in a loop is going to mean G forces felt in the direction that is perpendicular to the loop, but this is not relative to the fact that the aircraft is gaining altitude. This is "acellerated" flight, but you're changing direction to get the acelleration.

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
definately the bottom of the loop, not sure about the fancy mumbo jumbo, but it's just where the pilot feels the most G's.
I got the answer wrong on the test though, so it doesn't matter.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Geese said:
Totally. The bottom of the loop is the only place where you can ADD the force vector of gravity to the force vector of centrifical (yes, I know it's not a real force, but go do a 60° turn and tell me you didnt feel something) force.

Nice combination of the words centripetal and centrifugal.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's like watching a monkey trying to fvck a football.

Good times!

Brett

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
in the case of a constant radius loop the bottom is where the highest G loading is.

Kobyra

Status
Not open for further replies.