• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about energy bars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFgirl

Do these things ACTUALLY work? I've never really tried them before other than Clif Bars when hiking or ocean kayaking. I seem to hit an energy wall on my runs every now and then, where I have 6:45/7:15/8:20 as my splits. Now I KNOW more running will improve this over time, but in a pinch does anyone have any insight into the usefulness of such energy supplements?

horned frog

In my opinion, you shouldn't waste your money. Many running books will tell you that your muscles store enough carbs to fuel you for up to an hour. Over an hour, and you'll need a prerace meal, such as an energy bar. Your splits above indicate a 22:20 run time, and you get slower as you go. Again, most experts agree that it's best to start slower and finish faster. I'll bet you feel terrible on the 3rd mile, right? It's b/c you started too fast. Next time, run 7:40/7:20/7:00 for a time of 22 flat. You'll finish stronger and shave 20 seconds off your run time. Just my .02

Clux4

Banned
I have never been a fast runner, so on PFT's I start at the back and one by one mentally defeat the weak on my war towards victory. This is why I hate squad runs that start out pretty fast. I usually need about a mile to warm the blood up and the lungs but nobody gives you that time at OCS.

I will not necessary tell you start your runs slow neither will I tell you to start fast. Just do whatever works. We are all different and our body compositions are different, we react differently to just about everything.

pjxc415

pilot
energy bars wont improve your run time, putting in the mileage will. however, i think energy bars are good to eat about 2 hours before your run (if you're hungry). they're relatively light and give you some good carbs. protein bars are good for after runs (specifically long runs) to nourish the worked muscles. this comes from a college distance runner btw

Clux4

Banned
Often times I hear people talk about running more to improve your run time. It is always necessary to run more to get a very good base, but when it gets down to it, you need to do training geared towards speeding up your pace (speed work) and not trying to run 1/2 marathons.
Running 12 miles at a 9min/mile pace will not get you faster for you PFT unless you start running 6min/mile for short distances until you can attain the ultimate 3 mile goal.

pjxc415

pilot
clux is right, speed work is essential for getting faster. however, you shouldn't begin doing speed workouts, tempos, fartleks, etc. without a couple weeks of base mileage. first expand your aerobic capacity then work on the anaerobic

weren't we talking about energy bars?

SFgirl

Well, I was asking about the energy bars to see if they keep they actually do anything :)

My running workouts involve intervals twice a week, long runs (5+ miles) twice a week, and a timed 3 mile (22:30ish as of now) once a week. I am pretty happy with the progress I have made on this routine.

Thanks for all y'alls suggestions!

Kycntryboy

pilot
Well our football coaches were pretty adament about making us eat those, I personally enjoyed the gatorade ones (just because they have the chocolate chips) and made us drink shakes, we used those in conjuction with lifting to get bigger (and you could really see the difference in the freshman), but I'm not sure how they would be with running since running breaks down muscle...I guess if you wanted to have your muscles stay the same size then I don't think that it would be a bad investment (although they are pricey when you pay for them, I think the shakes would be better), however if you are just running to break down your muscles don't use them (what I am doing trying to lose some weight that I have gained over the years from lifting), or you are just running just to run, I wouldn't waste my money. Eat a snickers bar.

Merlin

Merlin
Energy bars or "Carb loading" are a waste, unless you plan to do aerobic activities for more than one hour. A number of studies have shown this. If you have a balanced diet you shouldn't need anything extra. The only suggestion that I could make is drink more water, 5-7 liters p/day. 22:30 is a great run time and it sounds like your on the right track. Hope this helps and happy training.

Merlin

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Your supposed to start slow?

I always try and run as fast as I can to the halfway point...

Then turn around and run faster on the way back.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
HueyCobra8151 said:
Your supposed to start slow?

I always try and run as fast as I can to the halfway point...

Then turn around and run faster on the way back.

I try to not run at all. if i can drive, I do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.