• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about DD-370

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'm in the package construction process right now, and I've been contacting employers, volunteer orgs, etc. to get references. I've worked for my current employer for 2 1/2 years now, and he's grown fond enough of me that when I asked him to fill out a DD-370, he literally told me to "tell him what to say," and that he'd endorse anything it said, and even memorize it in order to parrot it to NCIS investigators, the NOR, or the like.

I'd love to cash in on this, but what do I even tell him? Or do I tell him he has to use his own words? I don't fear the latter, since he clearly thinks highly of me.

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
It's best to surmise your desire to be a Naval Officer and highlight key ways that you'd make an excellent addition to the United States Navy. A lot of times employers and mentors will have you write your own recommendations, so they can edit and tailor it to their verbage. It makes it easier on them to help ensure that you get the best possible chance at achieving your goals.

Ask yourself, "what do I want the boards to know about me? What will make them want me as a Naval Officer?" and then write those into a format for your employer to put into his own words. (of course they should be things that he would somehow have knowledge of, but still. I'm sure you get the point."

P.S. I write this with no assurance that I am the one and only opinion to listen to on this matter; so take what you want out of it.