• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question About Bells...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
So here's a question for all of you SWO types.

When a ships' CO come onto his or any other ships, he get the appropriate number of bells and a "USS SHIP, ARRIVING" over the 1MC.

What would the protocol be for a Coastie JG who has his own boat coming on to one of our big gray thingies? Would they rate the "USCG Cutter BOAT, ARRIVING" or no? And what about bells?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I doubt it, they did not ding aboard grunt company commanders nor the LCACs that had chiefs as "Captains" on any of the amphibs I have been on. It seemed an O-5 in command + kind of thing.

BigRed389

None
To be technically correct, it would be 2 bells preceding USCG CUTTER, ARRIVING.

O-4s and below rate 2 bells. O-3/O-4 in the USN are PC/MCM COs.

Practically speaking, if he was just dropping by, he would be treated like any other JO coming on...because nobody would know who the hell he was.

If it was arranged in advance, they would bong him on as a CO.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're supposed to bong aboard any CO, no matter what their rank. Coastie patrol boat captains are usually LTs or JGs, and they'd be rung aboard with two bells and "Cutter (boatname), Arriving." We had some Coasties come aboard my frigate prior to our counter-narc cruise in '00.

There are some CG boats commanded by CWOs - bouy tenders, I believe. But still, as long as it's a commisioned ship (i.e., has "USCGC" in front of it), then the CO is the Captain and rates being rung aboard.

You're probably right that your average Navy QD watch would just see some random O-3 in a blue suit coming up the brow and it'd never occur to them to check and see if he/she's in command of anything. The XO should be on the ball enough to call over first and let them know.

phrogpilot73

During Fleet Week, there were so many different vessels with guys of all different ranks coming on board, that when I came across the brow I was asked what I get piped aboard as. For a split second, I thought about a smart ass response ("CH-46E Static Display, arriving") but I decided to tell them that I don't get piped aboard.

Zissou

Banned
Here's a question:

I attended a ceremony onboard USS McFaul a few years ago. I sat a behind a retired 0-3 who is a MOH recipient. While waiting for the ceremony to begin an O-5 who I believe was the ship's CO, came up to the gentleman and apologized for not showing him due courtesy when he came aboard.

What is the proper courtesy when a MOH recipient comes aboard? Is he announced? If so, what do you call him?

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
We had a MOH recipient at our commissioning this year. I don't recall the exact wording but it was either "MOH, arriving" or "MOH recipient, arriving". There was no mention of his name, rank, service, etc.