• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about applying procedures

ShrinkSkat

Banned
Hi. I've gotten some useful information here in the past so, kudos to Airwarriors!!
Now I have another question. I took the ASTB about a week ago. I received a passing score, but it wasn't within the competitive range that I was looking to score. My recruiter and I agreed that it would be in my best interest to retake this test and then apply. I'm currently having a little trouble on the math and flight section of the test..and I think that this is really gonna take some time in order to inflate my score. The only thing that bothers me is that when I initially met my recruiter...she told me that she thought it was best to apply in the beginning of the fiscal year..so that I would obvioulsy have a greater chance of getting selected.

Here's the dilemma....I plan on applying to law school in the beginning of the spring. (It's not possible to do it any earlier)..There's a reasonably good chance that I may not get admitted into the school of my choice. In that event, I've decided to pursue a career with the Navy, and possibly JAG someday..if I ever do get into law school down the road.

Here's my question/s, when should I apply for OCS if I'm looking to get in this year??? I ask because I'm really not prepared to retake the ASTB right away. PLUS I have to wait at least until June no matter what. I find it difficult to study for two rigorous exams at once. Thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi. I've gotten some useful information here in the past so, kudos to Airwarriors!!
Now I have another question. I took the ASTB about a week ago. I received a passing score, but it wasn't within the competitive range that I was looking to score. My recruiter and I agreed that it would be in my best interest to retake this test and then apply. I'm currently having a little trouble on the math and flight section of the test..and I think that this is really gonna take some time in order to inflate my score. The only thing that bothers me is that when I initially met my recruiter...she told me that she thought it was best to apply in the beginning of the fiscal year..so that I would obvioulsy have a greater chance of getting selected.

Here's the dilemma....I plan on applying to law school in the beginning of the spring. (It's not possible to do it any earlier)..There's a reasonably good chance that I may not get admitted into the school of my choice. In that event, I've decided to pursue a career with the Navy, and possibly JAG someday..if I ever do get into law school down the road.

Here's my question/s, when should I apply for OCS if I'm looking to get in this year??? I ask because I'm really not prepared to retake the ASTB right away. PLUS I have to wait at least until June no matter what. I find it difficult to study for two rigorous exams at once. Thanks

If you consider the ASTB a "rigorous" exam, then law school should be a real eye-opener for you. ;)

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Apply Early. Apply Often. Apply until you get selected.

But, if you want to go to law school, then by all means focus on your law school exam first, then go back to studying for the ASTB. About 2-3 weeks of math prep should probably be sufficient unless you really suck at math/have bad study skills. You can mix in Aviation study during that time and probably do pretty well.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
If you consider the ASTB a "rigorous" exam, then law school should be a real eye-opener for you. ;)

Brett

Brett, "rigorous" in a sense meaning that it's not easy and that it's going to take a certain amount of time for my score to improve. Of course I know it's not nearly as demanding as LS...but historically, math has always been my weakest subject since day one. So this test might be considerably harder for me than it would for other people.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
Apply Early. Apply Often. Apply until you get selected.

But, if you want to go to law school, then by all means focus on your law school exam first, then go back to studying for the ASTB. About 2-3 weeks of math prep should probably be sufficient unless you really suck at math/have bad study skills. You can mix in Aviation study during that time and probably do pretty well.

How early should I apply based on my current situation. I'm looking to maybe take this test in about one month from now. Would that still be considered early?? And if it did take the test in about a month and did well on it, what OCS class would I be accepted into??? Let's say I apply in the spring and ace the ASTB...and apply....what OCS class would I be likely to get accepted into???? I assume one being given in 08'

I hope people understand what I'm asking.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Let's say I apply in the spring and ace the ASTB...and apply....what OCS class would I be likely to get accepted into???? I assume one being given in 08'

I hope people understand what I'm asking.

Hard to say. There isn't an exact timeline, like say, college. Once you apply, you gotta wait for acceptance, then based on quotas for the FY, you'll get a slot at some point.

As for Law School, have you taken your LSATs yet? I know you can't apply until to Law School until the Spring, but I'm pretty sure you can take the LSATs anytime...which you can knock out of the way then concentrate on the ASTB.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
Hard to say. There isn't an exact timeline, like say, college. Once you apply, you gotta wait for acceptance, then based on quotas for the FY, you'll get a slot at some point.

As for Law School, have you taken your LSATs yet? I know you can't apply until to Law School until the Spring, but I'm pretty sure you can take the LSATs anytime...which you can knock out of the way then concentrate on the ASTB.

No, the LSATs are offered four times a year. I'm interested in attending school in the Fall of 08' which means that the earliest I can apply is this coming spring. My plan is to fully concentrate on the LSAT then worry about the ASTB as you stated

But right now it's very confusing and bothersome if I'm burdened with having to get these tests knocked out of the way under the pressures of time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But right now it's very confusing and bothersome if I'm burdened with having to get these tests knocked out of the way under the pressures of time.

violin.gif

Jesus Christ, kid.

Brett

tiger84

LT
pilot
Be serious please.

He is being serious. The ASTB is not an overwhlmingly difficult test to prepare for. This site has all the gouge you could ever need to get ready for it and it definitely doesn't need to consume your life. Preparing for both tests at the same time is very doable if you put in the effort.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
He is being serious. The ASTB is not an overwhlmingly difficult test to prepare for. This site has all the gouge you could ever need to get ready for it and it definitely doesn't need to consume your life. Preparing for both tests at the same time is very doable if you put in the effort.

Yes, but as I indicated in my post, my primal concern was when would be the ideal time to apply. I never said that I found the test to be life consuming...but I am finding the flight section and the math section to be very difficult right now. I might apply next month once I retake the ASTB. But when does the time come when I'm forced to make a decision between law school and the Navy?? I ask this because I don't know if I'll be admitted into the school of my choice until June....but until then I don't want to consent to becoming an officer in the navy just yet. This is what is sort of bothering me.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
...right now it's very confusing and bothersome if I'm burdened with having to get these tests knocked out of the way under the pressures of time.

First of all, the only person who is "burdening" you with these "bothersome" tests is yourself. These are all your personal choices. No one else to blame but yourself.

Second, if you are seeking a career in the Navy or Marine Corps, you better get used to having too much to do with too little time to do it ... and not bitching to anyone about it. If you want to do both of these test, bust your ass and get it done. You have so many more resources on this fourm than most of the people here ever had when they took the ASTB. Just get it done.

s/f

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but as I indicated in my post, my primal concern was when would be the ideal time to apply. I never said that I found the test to be life consuming...but I am finding the flight section and the math section to be very difficult right now. I might apply next month once I retake the ASTB. But when does the time come when I'm forced to make a decision between law school and the Navy?? I ask this because I don't know if I'll be admitted into the school of my choice until June....but until then I don't want to consent to becoming an officer in the navy just yet. This is what is sort of bothering me.

We're just giving you a little well deserved grief - get used to it. Meanwhile, your motivation to serve and be a Naval Officer seems, at least on first impression, to be less than completely noble - I hope that is not the case. While I commend you for considering the JAG Corps as your vehicle for service, it shouldn't just be a means to an end.

Brett

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
But when does the time come when I'm forced to make a decision between law school and the Navy?? I ask this because I don't know if I'll be admitted into the school of my choice until June....but until then I don't want to consent to becoming an officer in the navy just yet.

Sounds to me that you need to sack up and make a decision yourself, instead of letting the Law School admissions board decide for you. Also, do you really want to go to Law School, or do you only want to go to a particular law school? It sounds like the latter. Why not apply to some Law Schools that you're confident you can get into?

ShrinkSkat

Banned
First of all, the only person who is "burdening" you with these "bothersome" tests is yourself. These are all your personal choices. No one else to blame but yourself.

Second, if you are seeking a career in the Navy or Marine Corps, you better get used to having too much to do with too little time to do it ... and not bitching to anyone about it. If you want to do both of these test, bust your ass and get it done. You have so many more resources on this fourm than most of the people here ever had when they took the ASTB. Just get it done.

<shaking head in disbelief> :confused: :confused:

I don't understand why I'm getting my balls ripped off for asking a serious/logical question. Are people actually READING these posts??? It doesn't seem so..:icon_rage The key word in my sentence was "IF" not "WHEN"..go back and please reread it carefully.

Second, I am not "burdening" myself nor am I "blaming" myself with/for anything. Don't quite understand what gave you folks that impression. Just so we understand eachother....To paraphrase...my question was "based on my current schedule what would be the best way to go about this??" That's all I asked. (Like anything in life) It WOULD be burdensome to have to go through something that is unnecessary, Or if I didn't have all the facts in front of me. That is what prompted my initial question.

Furthermore, I realize that life is gonna get much harder and I'll be expected to function under strenuous conditions. I'm prepared to deal with that.