• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about application....

mojoman

I have a package nearly completed (I am enlisted and it is being routed) but I have a question that has recently come up. Prior to joining the Navy some years ago I had a couple criminal charges. I obviously got waivers for them when I enlisted and put them on my sf-86 for my security clearance. Recently someone very reliable that has seen many of these packages told me that because I was cleared to join my prior offenses did not need to be put on the 1420.1b application as long as it wasn't under a certain block in my service record (wherever they put NJPs). Does this sound correct? I want to make sure that I do this correctly and don't get myself in trouble down the line. I appreciate anyone's input.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Write exactly what block 1420.1b says.. Then we can better tell you.. I can't imagine this block saying, "List all criminal charges, but if you already have been waivered by the military don't worry about it.."

mojoman

The instruction says "Block 29. Civil/Military Offense(s): fill out as directed. Important! Providing false information or failing to declare any civil/military offense(s) may result in non-selection for the program."

The actual application says "Civil/Military Offense(s): (List all incidents except minor offenses that impose a fine of $300.00 or less, exclusive of court charges.): Have you ever been cited, arrested, convicted, or fined for any violation of any law or ordinance? If yes, give complete description of incident(s).
State where and when each incident occurred, the nature of the offense(s), and the date and disposition of case(s). (Include NJPs and Courts Martial).
NOTE: FAILURE TO REPORT ANY SUCH INCIDENT MAY BE GROUNDS FOR WITHDRAWAL OF AN OFFER OF ACCEPTANCE INTO A
COMMISSIONING PROGRAM."

To me this says that I have to put anything in the application regardless of whether it happened before the navy or not.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Yes, you have to put anything that was not a minor offense with less than a $300 fine (regardless if you already had to list it when you enlisted). Word of advice- whatever charges you had, make sure you write a statement explaining them and attach it to the 1420. You DON'T want to have charges in your package and not address them.

mojoman

Thanks millsra! I know the Fleet OCS help desk told me that I did not need a statement for each charge. I had one in there that covered the 3 charges stating that they were before the navy and I have changed and would not do anything like that again. I took it out though when they told me not to include it.

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
I have a question about the application as well. Section 9 a: "Have you ever been charged of a crime to include drug or alcohol use?"
Would a traffic ticket prevent me from marking "No"? I would think that this section, entitled "Illegal Activities," is not concerned with minor traffic violations.

Lucy

If under $300 for traffic don't have to report. Believe its mentioned at the top of the first page of that section, or as an astrix. All alcohol or drug related no matter the fine amount need to be on there though.

Robby

Mmm... Butter Bars
Thanks Lucy. My recruiter said it was anything over $100, which is just about everything. I have been ticketed twice, each one being 5 mph over the limit. And they were each just over $100. Couldn't find any asterisks or other explanations.

I have a package nearly completed (I am enlisted and it is being routed) but I have a question that has recently come up. Prior to joining the Navy some years ago I had a couple criminal charges. I obviously got waivers for them when I enlisted and put them on my sf-86 for my security clearance. Recently someone very reliable that has seen many of these packages told me that because I was cleared to join my prior offenses did not need to be put on the 1420.1b application as long as it wasn't under a certain block in my service record (wherever they put NJPs). Does this sound correct? I want to make sure that I do this correctly and don't get myself in trouble down the line. I appreciate anyone's input.
I would list it and make reference to waiver granted upon initial entry into service.