• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about API and Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Burke

I know that everything is taught from the assumption that the students don't know anything about the subject but I have a few questions about it.

How well and to what extent is navigation taught? I can fly a flight plan with a clock but I don't know any other methods. Is it more of a crash course and you have to study night and day to figure it all out?

Is time in the simulators limited?
Is everything taught in general or is it specific to the aircraft?

vicki

The nav they teach you at API is not difficult, but you have to practice, practice and practice some more with the whiz wheel if you've never used one before. If you do the problems in your workbook you have nothing to worry about.

As you'll find out, API is about theory. You are not flying, so you're also not getting into the sims (although they have Flight Sim set up in the student lounge with a big monitor and stick / rudder pedals). With the exception of things like T-34 wingspan and other such stuff, the course ie. aerodynamics, engines, is taught in general. Hope this helps.

Paul Burke

Thanks Vicki. That does help. I've heard of a whiz wheel from other posts here. Is that something I can go buy at the local airport?

beau

A "Whiz wheel" is really called an E6B Flight commputer. Its a fancy name for this round "slide rule" which makes coversions of airspeeds, temperartures, pressures and stuff like Fuel burn and distance. Kinda neat actually. If you really want to see one, go down to your nearest airport FBO (or flight school) and ask to see one. You could buy one there too if you so desired.

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

vicki

In API you use the Jeppesen CR-3, but you will be issued the Jeppesen CR-2 Whiz Wheel in Primary.

Paul Burke

Thanks for the info. How many different types of whiz wheels are there? I'm assuming there are only slight differences between them?

wali

I have a question concerning the primary pilot training. I am a pilot candidate with the BDCP program. I was wondering how does one enter primary pilot training with the Air Force while still being a SNA. I am at Valdosta State University and at Moody AFB nearby (an AETC base), some student aviators just completed their first Solo flights in the T-6A Texan II. Among these students were 2 SNA's. I am wondering how do you enter Primary through the Air Force while still being with the Navy. Also, is does the Navy participate in the ENJJPT (Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training) program like the Air Force? About two years ago, one of my friend got accepted in this program with the Air Force ROTC. He is now training in Eagles at Tyndall AFB.
Sincerely;
Ali

vicki

Air Force students have been training at Whiting Field and Navy students have been training at Vance AFB for quite some time now as part of the new joint training program (JPATS). Moody AFB was recently added as one of the options (the first Navy guys got there in October). Before you class up for API flight management will ask you where you want to go for Primary. If you select Vance or Moody you'll probably get it because nobody wants to go there.

The AF is the only US military organization that participates in ENJJPT. Good because Sheppard stinks, bad because a clean shot at tac air would be pretty sweet.

wali

First of all, thanks Vicki for the info. My Brother is in Air Force ROTC competing to get a pilot slot. He's been told and so was I when I was a cadet that it helps if you have your private license or at least some flying experience if you are going up for pilot. Recently, there have been lots of guys here at Det 172 getting pilot slots. Last march, 5 cadets recieved their pilot ratings which for a small university is really good. TAC(Tactical air Command) has been changed to ACC(Air Combat Command). Most of the guys with ENJJPT slots end up being with USAFE, mostly at Ramstien or Lakenheath. I am also wondering, after the primary, would it be easier to get a Fighter slot in the Air Force or the Navy. I, being a Naval Pilot Candidate, surely hope there are more jet slots in the Navy. I am definitely working to get there. If my brother gets in fighters and I am flying choppers, he will definitely laugh at me for the rest of my carreer.
Sincerely; Ali

vicki

If you truly would be hating life if you went helos I'd rethink flying Navy - 1/3-1/2 of all Naval Aviators are helo bubbas. On the other hand, if you make the jet cut you are assured a sweet ride (in my opinion). Hornets, Superhornets, Prowlers or Tomcats are all the cat's meow. They're only taking a very few for S-3s right now and if you do get them you'll transition to Hornets. Anyway you slice it it's a good deal. Now in the AF, it's probably tougher to make the T-38 cut (also just my opinion based on seeing how competative and anal alot of AF guys are). I think AF guys are also selected(for UPT)more for academic ability while Navy slots go to guys who are "well-rounded", but may not be the most "book smart". The AF weeds people out in the selection process. The Navy does it at the training commands. Once again, nothing based on fact, just observations made at a training command working alongside both Navy and AF guys. Plus, if you do get the T-38, you could still get B-52s or the Bone, or FAIP (Navy no longer does SERGRAD).

wali

Tell me something Vicki, Does it help if you have your Private License or some flying experience when you enter Primary. Someone told me that the instructors expect more from you if you are experienced in flying. Is it true that everyone going into pilot training wants to be in Hornets?
I know it's a dream jet.
Ali

vicki

This topic has been discussed before by people with a lot more experience than me. Do a search of the forum, and I'm sure you'll find it. As I recall the gist of the discussion was that prior time makes you more comfortable in the aircraft, but you still have to learn to do it the "Navy way". In the beginning those with prior flight time may do a little better, but this evens itself out in a few flights. There does not seem to be a correlation between prior flight time and final NSS, hence no connection between prior flight time and selection of "jets". IPs do expect a little more from you depending on how much flight time you have. You also may be a candidate for an accelerated program (also discussed previously). I think the general consensus is if you want to get flight time and can afford it - go for it and have fun. If you can't, don't worry about it. You have just as much a shot at success at Primary as someone with flight hours.

Personally, I've seen it go both ways. I know two commercial pilots that have entered Primary in the last year. One completed Primary with an NSS of 74 (perfect is 80) and selected helos (his first choice). The other DOR'ed. Go figure.

Does everyone want to go Hornets? No. A lot of guys really want helos or P-3s. One of my girlfriends is holding out for Tomcats. There are, however, a fair number of people who want jets and it is still very competative to get them. The good news is the number of people who want jets at the beginning of Primary is much greater than the number that actually list TACAIR as their first choice on selection day. Many people realize that jets are not their cup of tea by selection. This may be for personal reasons, not having "jet grades", or simply not enjoying PAs or going like a bat outta hell. Only experience in the airplane, and exposure to the various communities teach you these things. For instance, I am "die-hard, tunnel-vision, gotta-get-jets", but I'm well aware that this could easily change during Primary, or be changed for me if I don't make the grades. I hope this long-winded explanation helps. Those of you more in the know - Matt, John, Mari, Jack, etc. please feel free to jump on in.

wali

Thanks a lot, Vicki, for the insight. I will try my best to get into Fighter because I have had a chance to fly in one. I used to be in AFROTC and in November '99, I was one of the 4 cadets to get an incentive ride in a Block 52 F-16D Viper (Wild Weasel). We were flying from Shaw AFB, not Moody, which had only 2 F-16D's. After that ride, even though only lasted about 50 minutes, I decided that fighters was the only way for me. Hopefully, everything works out and I get to fly the Hornets. Let's see how things go.
Thanks for the reply once again.
Kindly;
Ali

Lewisinhk

i got a quick question for anyone who can shed some light on this matter: after primary, if you are selected for helo's how difficult is it to continue pursuing the required hours to get the multi, commercial, and atp licenses for civilian airlines? can you still plan to be an airline pilot when you get out of the Navy in ten years?

Status
Not open for further replies.