• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Queen Elizabeth's Air Wing and first deployment

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UK Defence Journal:
British supercarrier HMS Queen Elizabeth to deploy to the Pacific

Some interesting bits in here about Big Liz's maiden deployment plans and Air Wing composition. Not least of which, this:

"Recently, the Ministry of Defence confirmed plans for the deployment of American F-35 aircraft alongside British jets aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth...The addition of US Marine Corps aircraft will see HMS Queen Elizabeth sail with 24 or so F-35Bs in addition to around 14 or so helicopters for her maiden deployment. It is understood that the US aircraft will augment British jets on coalition operations.

I heard about a VMA deploying aboard Illustrious a few years back for summer surge, but I understood that to be a one-off. Wonder if international cross-decking will become a more regular thing.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I heard about a VMA deploying aboard Illustrious a few years back for summer surge, but I understood that to be a one-off. Wonder if international cross-decking will become a more regular thing.

Maybe 'semi-regular', it'll take the Brits a few years to get their F-35B fleet FOC and until then I think the Marines will fill at least some of the gaps.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe 'semi-regular', it'll take the Brits a few years to get their F-35B fleet FOC and until then I think the Marines will fill at least some of the gaps.

No, I get what the Brits are getting out of the deal. I was more surprised that we're going to have enough operational Marine F-35s by 2021 to spare some for our cousins across the pond.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Good deal for the Marines who get to hit the ship's bar every night.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I get what the Brits are getting out of the deal. I was more surprised that we're going to have enough operational Marine F-35s by 2021 to spare some for our cousins across the pond.

They'll find enough, it is a big enough showpiece for both services and countries.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Found an old local news blurb about the float:

photo291.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
When I was at 26 we sent a SARDET out to one of the Brit carriers off the coast of NC for a few weeks to support VMA ops off the Brit boat. I can't remember which boat it was but they had a blast.

jtmedli

pilot
When I was at 26 we sent a SARDET out to one of the Brit carriers off the coast of NC for a few weeks to support VMA ops off the Brit boat. I can't remember which boat it was but they had a blast.

The British destroyer that was on deployment with us pretty much showed us how it ought to be done. Those guys looked like they were having a blast.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alas, the rum ration ended on July 31, 1970 (Black Tot Day) though the RNZN apparently kept it going until 1990.

"Chips and beer" before dinner is still very much a thing on H.M.'s ships, though.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
If I recall there were plans/discussions about doing this with USN F-35Cs back when Lizzie was supposed to be a CATOBAR boat.