• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

quality points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

contrail_dash

So I'm looking at my OCS package folder (dont ask me how I got it :) ) and I have this page that says NRD **** GPA Computation Sheet.
Hours attempted, Quality points earned, semester GPA. Now the GPA they have is different from mine...its acutally higher. So I'm assuming that this sheet is used to "weigh" certain majors to give a somewhat fair assesment of how "hard" a major is.

Hopefully this will come as some comfort to those struggling engineers out there. But at the same time, I know personally that I did fairly well in my major, but man I'd have no clue in one of those so-called easy majors like education or music....you get the point.

Anyways, just some FYI stuff, might post more as I go through this folder. Lots of stuff I've never seen before.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Easy man ...... I was a music major (Dual with Vocal Performance/Music Business) and don't get it twisted ....... IT WAS HARD .. and EXTREMELY DEMANDING. Don't knock it till u tried it.

It's good to know that I will be singing in the cockpit when shove a missle right up the enemy's ....... (hehe)

contrail_dash

Read that second paragraph again....I wasn't bashing music by any means. ;)

I think the key words are.."I'd have no clue" which translates into, "woulda done bad."
Anyways, the point is that they shouldn't really do that. Afterall how can you really do that when different things are harder for some while easy for others?

And yes I did benefit from this "weighing".

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Sorry man .... I've kinda put up this defense mechanism as people are always talkin about how I had to do NO work cause I was a music major.

And as far as benefiting from the weighing ...... good for you man .... if it works in your favor ... roll with it!!!!!

bisouss69

I would like to know how much they look at what classes you took. My GPA sucked.. but my freshman year I was a Bio/Chem major.. not easy. So I have all the calc/chem/bio/ computer classes... and then the next year I was a political science and french major.. and I was pulling 3.5 at least.. so bringing up a very low GPA from the start.. and then senior year studying at the Sorbonne in Paris which 30 credits dont even count towards my GPA..what can you do? I dont think I needed to explain my low GPA because of a mistake I found out my frehsman year that I didnt want/wasnt good at Bio/chem in my package. So I get less points becasue I didnt have a high GPA? Though I show initiative in my studies? Plus held an internship my junior year at US Customs and worked overseas in two different countries after I graduated.

dskeeters30

I'd like some insight into this subject too. When I graduated in May '02, the gpa recorded on my transcripts is a 3.1. When my recruiter computed it for my package submission in September '02, it only showed a 2.95. When I went to the recruiter to re-submit my package again in June '03, it was only computed as a 2.80, even though I haven't been in school since May '02. My officer recruiter never can seem to give me a straight answer on how it seems to be getting lower except that it must've been computed wrong the first time. He forgets that he's the one who computed it both times though. Do they tend to not accept certain classes for GPA computation if the slots are more competitive? I was a bio major with a chem minor so all of my classes were pretty tough; I can't imagine any of the science courses being thrown out when computing the GPA.

contrail_dash

Well I can't really say how they do it, or exactly what factors they use to weigh GPA's. Any recruiter types in here that can shed some light on this? Wink, you around???

Enrique

ok

Well this is my first time doing a topic.. well ok.. When it come to GPA I'm the worst... now I have repeated 2 classes 3 times.. but pass...is that a problem..my GPA is above a 3.0 my major is Anthropology... I'm planning to do the marine program PLC, do you guys think i will have problem..?? I hope you guys can help..

jaerose

dkskeeters, did you go to two different schools? If so, they have to compute the grades from both schools, not just the one you graduated from. Also, they might weigh the grades that you got in certain more difficult classes more than core classes, so if your grade was lower in the weighted classes it'll pull the GPA down. I'd contact an OPO and ask them how they do it.

Enrique, I'm not in the marines, so this is just a guess, but if you passed the class every time (no F's...what were your grades in it each time?) and you have over a 3.0, then you will probably be ok. If you failed it, which I doubt since your GPA is greater than 3.0, you might have a problem. If you got, say, a C and just wanted a better grade, then the persistence might actually show well for your character and help you out.

JR

dskeeters30

jaerose, thanks for the reply. Yes, I did go to two different schools and both were computed. As far as the weight of the tougher courses goes; that was the first thing that came to mind. The only problem with that was that my gpa in my major courses (bio, chem, calc, physics) were actually higher than my overall gpa. My recruiter wants me to contact him again this month to re-submit again in October so I guess I'll just ask him to re-calculate the gpa in case he made a mistake; everyone makes'em. Only problem is that I'm scheduled to report to Great Lakes 15 December for basic so I'm not sure if I'll still be here when they make a decision.

Enrique

Hi

Thank you for you response. And to response your question I got D in all the time but pass them with a B after somany trys.. So I guess I'm ok.. They are many reasons why I repeated the classes twice... one of them is money and my work hours are not the best... that's why not because I don't like to school, and party... No party for me and I like school

jaerose

dskeeters, are you enlisting (did you graduate)? Just curious. What program?

Enrique, I think you could still get a spot, depending on what you want to do and what's open, if it's a competitive job you'll probably have to wait to do it, but if you're willing to do that you'll be fine. The only hang up I can see is that at your school the GPA you have is calculated on the final grade you got in the class, but I think the Navy will use the grade you got the first time, too, in order to calculate your GPA and it'll pull your numbers down. I'm not for certain on this, though, so I'd go talk to a recruiter ASAP and have them calculate your GPA the Navy way (always the Navy way...he) and see where you stand.

JR

dskeeters30

jaerose, to answer your question, yes I did graduate and yes I am enlisting. I was able to get an aircrew contract so I figure at the very least I'll get to be around the flightline and the opportunity to meet and talk with the NA's and NFO's where I get stationed. My recruiter wants me to re-submit my package in October. Since it's been over a year since my last PRT, he wants me to retake it next week, which is good since that's one of the stronger points of my application.

AviatorMR239

perhaps you were a little confused with what the term quality points means.

here's a sample from one of my previous semesters

class grade credit hours quality points
Accounting 2 A 3.0 12.00
Astronomy 1 B+ 4.0 13.20
Calculus A 3.0 12.00
Micro Economics B 3.0 9.00

Hours attempted: 13.00 Hours passed: 13.00 quality points: 46.20

So to get my GPA you divide quality points by hours passed and get 3.55

Quality points have nothing to do with the difficulty of the major or class, it's just a way to to give more weight to classes with more credit hours (i.e. a 4 credit hour science course) a "D" is 1 QP, a "C" is 2, "B" is 3 and an "A" is 4. you then multiply the number of quality points by the number of credit hours in the class. so a B in a 3 credit hour class is 3 QP's X 3 credit hours for a total of 9 quality points.

it's really not as confusing as it sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.