• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

qualified advice please

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I do not concur with others about the gouge. Be it from the columbia site, ARCO, or other gouge from others who have taken test 5. I studied the math gouge from all resourses till I had the concepts down quite well. On the test though I saw precious few questions that resembled what I had studied from these gouges. The math questions were way more involved and the main reason I think my scores were that low (4/5/4 46 OAR). Take into consideration however that I am not a "math person" so many of you enigineers and aerospace studies types probably can't relate. Ok, so here goes...

Took the test the first time yesterday. I got a whopping 4/5/4 46 OAR.
I am going for 1. NFO 2. Intel 3. PAO.
I know I could do better given the right circumstances but I really do not want to risk actually doing worse.
I have other things though--->
5 years active duty, 3.8 and 4.0 evals, a 3.6 cumm GPA. I should have some really solid LOR's and I am confident that no one will write a better motivational than I.

Unlike many applicants, it has not been my dream since I was a kid to fly. So, if I don't get picked up for NFO then perhaps for one of my other choices, no biggie. Even so, I know that those scores are probably border line.
To retake or not to retake, that is the question.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Tough one I think. Back in my day, not that long ago really (92' timeframe), I studied the ARCO book, SAT books, etc. The test back then was called AQT/FAR and had only two scores, a 9 was the high score on each section. I'm just not a good test taker and perhaps you're not either. The average for pilot back then was a 6/7 and I scored a 5/5 the first time. I then studied my butt off for the AQT part being it was much like at SAT. Went back and scored a 5/9. That 9 probably got me in but like, the frustrating part was spending all that time studying and still scoring a 5 on the acadmeic portion. Point is, I still did better the second time. My bud actually did worse his second time and unfortunetly, at the time, they took the score of your second test. I think he lost interest though. Could be a gamble but why not try?

schwarti

Contributor
Also, if you're having trouble with the math, if you do really well on the verbal it can make up for a crappy score. On my GRE, I got a 560 in the math, which is like 38% percent, but with a 700 (97%) verbal, I actually got a decent score. Just saying that so that you don't neglect the other parts of the test if you're hauling ass for the mathematics. :D

FSF17

pilot
I also had form #5, but I thought the gouge did a wonderful job. I thought the columbia page and ARCO did a good job of pointing me in the right direction... I used them as the base of a week-long trip through Wikipedia's aviation and nautical articles. I ended up with a 63 7/7/7. I'm not much of a math person either... I haven't had any since high school, but the gouge did tell me types of problems to brush up on.

snake020

Contributor
Dude, the math section is not rocket science. Go to the bookstore and get one of those laminated Sparknotes quick review sheets for algebra and for geometry and you'll have covered it. No calculus or precalc stuff; this section is not complex at all as long as you have the basics mastered.

thenuge

Snake
Dude, the math section is not rocket science Go to the bookstore and get one of those laminated Sparknotes quick review sheets for algebra and for geometry and you'll have covered it. No calculus or precalc stuff; this section is not complex at all as long as you have the basics mastered

ok, so it's not rocket science, rocket....surgery perhaps? haha.:D

thenuge

What does your recruiter think?

Recruiter said, "outside shot at NFO" He said I could go ahead and apply for the other two, and he would do everything he could to make my packages as competitive as possible- but he didn't really know. Everybody's packages are so unique to the individual it's hard to say. For some reason some guys get picked up with lower scores. Obviously he wanted me to retake though. He wanted the scores raised about a point each for the flight aptitude scores and he wanted to see like a 51 for the OAR.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recruiter said, "outside shot at NFO" He said I could go ahead and apply for the other two, and he would do everything he could to make my packages as competitive as possible- but he didn't really know. Everybody's packages are so unique to the individual it's hard to say. For some reason some guys get picked up with lower scores. Obviously he wanted me to retake though. He wanted the scores raised about a point each for the flight aptitude scores and he wanted to see like a 51 for the OAR.

Then maybe it's best if you retake it.

I can't answer your issue about whether the gouge is good or not. You now have seen what's on the test, so hopefully that gives you range of information to study. Of course there's a chance that you could score lower, but I think if you spend extra time preparing, you will probably score better.

my opinion....

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I have only taken the ASTB once, so I cannot say, but from what others have said, Form 3 seems to be easier...so maybe you'll get that, and your scores will go up. Good luck, man!

staff03

i'm looking throught all the gouge trying to find material to start my studying for the astb and it seems like the columbia site is very helpful, problem is that i cant seem to access it. ive tried just doing a search for astb on columbia.edu and clicking on the links at this site but it says that the site does not exist. any pointers?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Check out the ATSB thread section on this site if you have not already. Otherwise, use Mr. Google.

thenuge

the information has been moved. look under the AWOL Marine gouge thread.