• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Q about Disassociated Sea Tour

Mac Gordon

Music on.
Hi AW,

I'm a very new member of this great forum and am still processing through the wealth of information on this site, so don't eat me alive for asking this question. If you don't feel like answering the question because there is a good pre-existing thread on the subject, directing me to it would be appreciated.

I heard from an SNA a year ago about the basic structure of an aviator's 8 year commitment, and that during the "disassociated sea tour," the aviator will be given a non-flying job. Is this true, and are there ways around it to stay in the cockpit for another two years? If not, what has your experience been? Thanks for your time.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
You'll be tired of flying by then - you'll want a break. The navy will be happy to hook you up with a most excellent tour aboard the USS Neverdock, during which you'll be provided extensive leadership experience, face time with the skipper (when your boys go up for mast), and ample time to write letters to your family. You will become very good at powerpoint during this tour.

There are many threads on the dreaded disassociate sea tour... bottom line though, yes, you have to do it, and it is unlikely (but not impossible) you will fly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Disassoc is not always non-flying, particularly for jet types. CAG staff or CAG paddles are both flying jobs, at least if you are good to the squadrons in your airwing. We regularly fly our CAG staffers, and they frequently fill holes in the flight sked that we can't otherwise fill. Multiply that x 4 squadrons, and that is a decent amount of flying I'd think, though I have no idea how much they actually fly on a given week not including our events. If you are a TOPGUN grad, your disassoc is your Training Officer tour, which is probably the guy in the squadron who flies the most of anyone. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that I interact with regularly. I know of more than a couple hinges who have never left the cockpit their entire careers.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Should have clarified - in VP land, very, very, very few flying opportunities on your DA tour.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with both of the above. You may be burnt out on flying by then (many are), or you may have options for a flying disassociated tour. Bottom line, it's not something to worry about now. You'll have a better handle on what your options are depending on your community and how your first couple tours go.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Agree with both of the above. You may be burnt out on flying by then (many are), or you may have options for a flying disassociated tour. Bottom line, it's not something to worry about now. You'll have a better handle on what your options are depending on your community and how your first couple tours go.

Oh Brett, you are so practical!

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Like the others have said, it really depends on your community and your qualifications. Weapons school graduates, regardless of platform, tend to stay flying. Non-weapons school grads who want non-flying orders can get them pretty easily. Some of those jobs can be pretty cool (depending on your point of view).