• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Puzzled about STA-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushmaster

I have been looking for information if the STA-21 selectees go to OCS after completing their degrees.

OPNAV 1420.1 says "Following degree completion, selectees will attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) and upon successful completion, be commissioned as officers in the Unrestricted Line."

On the other hand, the official STA-21 website doesn't mention about STA-21 students go to OCS after college graduation.

After successfully earning a college degree and graduating from his or her respective university, the officer candidate will be commissioned an Ensign in the United States Naval Reserve.

I also checked the STA-21 instruction OPNAV 1530.

These two instructions are dated only 10 days apart so is it possible that things changed? For example, in each document the age requirement is different... In 1420.1, the age limit is 27 and in 1530, it is 31...

klray77

All of our STA-21's here in Memphis are in the NROTC program. And like all of us in the program, they won't have to go to OCS after commissioning. The way I understand it, that's the way it works for everyone in STA-21. I do believe that selectees attend NSI in Newport before reporting to their respective NROTC units.

Bushmaster

Thanks klray77,

Now I don't have to worry about if I could make it to pilot option or not.

Requirements in OPNAVINST 1420.1 and OPNAVNOTE 1530 are different.

I guess one is the older Seaman to Admiral program and the other is the new STA-21.

Ex Rigger

pilot
I'm in the STA-21 program here at Texas A&M University and you don't have to do anything after completeing your degree. You have to go to NSI before you come to school and thats it. However, you may have to attend the BOOST prep school before NSI if they think you need it. Hope this helps....

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I am also in the STA-21 program at the University of Houston. What StormingAg said is correct. If you have any questions about the program, email me

Bigbobb

Could anyone tell me how NSI is compared to bootcamp? I am applying for the STA-21 program now and was just curious how hard those two months are?

dwilker

Originally posted by Bigbobb
Could anyone tell me how NSI is compared to bootcamp? I am applying for the STA-21 program now and was just curious how hard those two months are?

NSI is nothing like boot camp. With the exception of the games you have play in any indoc type course. Still, you have regular liberty and you're basically there to take your Naval Sciences courses. The instructors tend to understand that your academics are more important than any silly games. This axiom will likely hold true for your ROTC unit when you get there as well.

Rhode Islands a fun state and Newport is a good time. Go in the Summer. Go to O'brian's. You'll have fun. Enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.