• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushups at OCS

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
This was discussed before. Couldn't find where though...

How far down do you go for pushups at OCS at the in PRT?

If I do them the way I normally do them on my own, my numbers are fine. But when I get in front of a mirror and get my upper arms straight across and parallel with my back, my numbers are not too good.

Edit: also, is there a requirement for the elbow angle? Does it have to be a 90 degree angle?

STLEngineer

pilot
Unfortuantely, that's the way you'll have to do them. You may be able to get away with a little less than that, but you definitly don't want to get singled out... then you will have a really tough time.

Upper arms parallel to the deck.
Fingers grounded, pointed straight in front of you.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Don't you mean perpendicular to the deck?

Perpendicular would be the "up" position. I think he was asking how far down you have to go...never heard anyone asking how far up they have to go....suppose there's a first time for everything. :confused:

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
I suppose I misunderstood then...disregard my thought process on this one. Guess I was :sleep_125 at the wheel. :icon_tong

Tom

pilot
Contributor
This was discussed before. Couldn't find where though...

How far down do you go for pushups at OCS at the in PRT?

If I do them the way I normally do them on my own, my numbers are fine. But when I get in front of a mirror and get my upper arms straight across and parallel with my back, my numbers are not too good.

Edit: also, is there a requirement for the elbow angle? Does it have to be a 90 degree angle?
Push up form is a common way people are failing the in PRT at OCS. Practice in great form and you'll be ok.

tiger84

LT
pilot
Yeah, upper arms parallel to the deck and fingers grounded. It's definitely an adjustment that you should start working at ASAP. They will take away pushups or start you back at zero if you have improper form.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Push up form is a common way people are failing the in PRT at OCS. Practice in great form and you'll be ok.

I've definitely been practicing incorrectly. I'm also doing them like a gimp over the edge of a staircase because of my still-healing wrist.

Also, eyes should be forward, not looking at the deck. It's hard to get used to at first, but if you do them daily you'll quickly pick it up. Making that change (after my recruiter informed me of my less-than-satisfactory form a few PRTs ago) really helped my pushups.

On a similar note, my recruiter said that they don't care how far you scoot towards your feet when doing the curl ups. That is, try to get your butt as close to your feet as possible, so the distance you have to come up is shorter. Can anyone verify this?

tiger84

LT
pilot
Also, eyes should be forward, not looking at the deck. It's hard to get used to at first, but if you do them daily you'll quickly pick it up. Making that change (after my recruiter informed me of my less-than-satisfactory form a few PRTs ago) really helped my pushups.

On a similar note, my recruiter said that they don't care how far you scoot towards your feet when doing the curl ups. That is, try to get your butt as close to your feet as possible, so the distance you have to come up is shorter. Can anyone verify this?

They tell you ten inches, but I never saw a DI break out a ruler and measure.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor

There is a trade off with that, though. If you go in really close, your hips can get fatigued quickly.

I actually do better with my feet farther away.