• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pushup form in OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskez2

Hey guys,

I was wondering if the DIs care about how you do pushups in OCS. In particular I'm curious if they will care if I do pushups on my knuckles as opposed to doing them on the palms of my hand.

Jason

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Are you sick or something??? You have to have your fingers grounded while doing push-ups. Push-ups at OCS is a technique....it takes some time to learn how to do them the OCS way. Forget the knuckle technique. Go to the OCS website for more information about the proper technique.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Look, if you think you're going to be a hero by doing pushups on your knuckles, forget about it. That will just land you a ton of punishment from the DIs because you're different and you're wrong. Palms to the ground, fingers together, and facing forward.

tarheel

Hey "thisguy"...relax...some people find it easier to do pushups on their knuckles.

Jason...try to get out of that habit, by the end of OCS you wouldn't have any knuckles left.

paskez2

Thanks for the replies. I figured I would probably have to start doing pushups on my palms. Thisguy I really wasn't trying to sound macho about it. As tarheel said, I really do find it more comfortable doing pushups on my knuckles; believe it or not this is how I was taught to do pushups when I was younger.

shivvyman

I kind of wish they would let you do pushups on your knuckles. I have crappy wrists and it feels a lot better to do pushups on my knuckles. Are they really going to give you crap for doing them on your knuckles? It's not like they are any easier that way.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Like Thisguy said, it's because you're doing it different than everyone else. You work as a team. Everyone does everything the same way, no matter what it is.

jreynard

Along with the whole knuckle debate.......I also heard that the whole 90 degree thing is really not enforced too much. I heard that you can get away with going down about 3/4 of the way. Is that true?

R

RickyDT34

I've never been to OCS but if it's anything like bootcamp you will not get away with it. You will be singled out if you don't do them correctly.

goldwingdreams

Shivyman there is the right way to do something, the wrong way to do something and the Navy Way of doing something. I'll let you figure out which way you should do your pushups....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I don't think they'll let you get away with knuckle pushups. Like several others have said, don't be different (unless you want to be an individual, and you don't want to be), be a lemming, follow the leader. If your section leader jumped off a bridge, would you join him (the answer is yes, sir)? i too like to do pushups on my knuckles, i find it easier and better for my wrists.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Michael W said:
I usually do pushups on my a-s-s, a beer in one hand and the tv controller in the other, I find it's better for my wrists.

thou art wise! this is a much better method, i shall, from this day forth, use this method!

wait, i've not done pushups since i left OCS.....

aiustudent

Hey PropStop,
My fiance is wanting to go navy officer. We realize physical conditioning is very important. I hear lots of comments about the run,pushup,situps etc... I dont hear much chatter about the swim tests. From your experience what are the swim tests like? I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.
Thanks,
Dave

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
Dave,
If you can sorta swim, you'll do fine at the swim test. I don't remember the exact swim requirements, but they were not hard. If you cannot pass the swim, you will be pulled from your OCS class and put into remedial swim, which sucks, but they WILL teach you how to swim and you will graduate. I've never heard of anyone not finishing because of their inability to swim. If they can teach this one dude in my class who had 0% body fat and musta weighed 230# (all muscle) to swim, they can teach anyone. He couldn't float to save his life, but man was he strong, he beat the water into submission.

hope this helps. you might find someone on here who is a more recent graduate to give you further details on the swim test. You might be able to find it online too, OCS requires a class III swim test.

Status
Not open for further replies.