• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Purging SNA’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocjams

ET-Mike,

I know what you mean. I grad in May, and I'm in STA-21. We had two SNA selectees (myself and another kid) and we were the only ones that listed SNA on our service selection. As far as the diminished need for SNA's, I think the buzz about fewer SNA selectees has discouraged people from selecting it. All I can say is that I'm glad I secured a pilot slot before the pilot quota decreases even more. Also, I kinda wish I had selected SNFO instead because it seems like they're really needed. I don't think I can afford to fail out of API under some outrageously high standard. I was enlisted for 7 years and I hope I don't get laid off cuz I can't cut it in API. Back to your question though, I think that, this year at least, since NROTC units are the largest accession source for SNA's.....that's why the chances are better for selection than other sources....like OCS, USNA, etc. I feel terrible for the guys and gals from other commissioning sources that really do have to deal with the brunt of the shrinking pilot quotas.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
API-0905 said:
Just study hard enough to be in the top 80% or so (a 42.5 NSS is not good.. you recieve a 68 NSS for a 100 on a test)

Agree with what you said, but remember that the NSS is a grade against the 200 students before you on each test, so a particular grade doesn't equal a set NSS from class to class.

For example, my grade breakdown was:

AERO I____Grade: 94____NSS: 48
WX_______Grade: 92____NSS: 51
AERO II___Grade: 98____NSS: 63
ENGINES__Grade: 96____NSS: ?
NAV______Grade: 100___NSS: 68
FR&R_____Grade: 100___NSS: 71

I'm willing to bet that if others compare their scores/NSS that there are some differences. You can probably determine approximate correlations (and API-0905's 100=68 is close enough), but an exact NSS you cannot.

Good luck to all of you API guys these days ... sure adds some incentive to bust your a$$ and do well.

NavyLonghorn

The NSS breakdown when the grades start dropping is defenitly variable, not only from class to class, but also from test to test, as evident by the example above. On Aero I, a 100 was a 65 NSS. Lets face it.. its Voodoo. Its going to change alot more with the pilots busting their butts harder too. However, an NSS is a curve, so, no matter how high the grades get.. the bottom 20% will still be who go, because thats what the 42.5 NSS necesitates on the curve. Simple right?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Some bum gouge out there... first off, NSS is a normalized scale, with 20 on one end and 80 on the other and 50 in the middle ("average"). Raw scores outside those ranges are truncated to either 20 or 80 as applicable. It's determined on a moving 30 (60?) day average, so yeah... it's definitely voodoo. After you solo in primary you get an estimate of what your NSS is going to be coming out of there, but there's no guarantees.

As for getting jets, I wouldn't worry about it too much... there's just too many variables for anyone to make a valid determination about their chances. There've been weeks where guys with scores of 80 didn't get jets due to there not being a slot, and there've been weeks where a dude with a 62 got it. So whatever. Worrying about getting jets is worthless until you get to your selection week.

As for being "sentenced" to the reserves, I've got a bunch of friends down here who are chomping at the bit to take advantage of that transition. The Marine transition was plagued by late notice and some bad gouge about how if you make the jump, you have to go helos, so not so a lot of guys even showed up for the PFT. I'm betting there'll be another round of transition so they can get the requested number of dudes (60), but what the hell do I know.

Plus rumors have been swirling about some huge job fair the USNA alumni association is putting on in May to pick up all of these guys that are getting out or being forced out, which is making a lot of guys who aren't enjoying their time in Shangri-La consider DOR-ing.

As for interservice transfers, the AF is drawing down even more that the Navy, so that's out. Don't really know anything about Coast Guard aviation. Blue-to-Green transitions are an interesting thing... they're looking for intel, armor, infantry, and 2 or 3 other communities, but it's been a while since I talked to my buddy who's got a package in, but I'll see if he can fill me in.

https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/opdistacc/IST/CIST.htm has some good info on Blue-to-Green for officers. Biggest requirement is you need 6-8 months before you're booted to effect the transfer.

What's the upshot of all this? Be proactive, get started on school, don't lounge around in the pools, work hard when you are in school and you should be okay. Beyond that, don't worry because you can't control it anyway.

go4the8

Advance Maritime (C-130's)
Study at API and you shouldn't have a problem. I left there with a 53 NSS, while going through an impending divorce. Talk about stress!!

I don't remember my grades off-hand, but I had something like 100, 92, 90, 88, 98, 94. The 92 was on the Nav test after getting barely 5 hours of sleep and talking on the phone all night long trying to resolve the divorce issue.

So don't worry too much about it. If you want to succeed, you will. If you don't want to, you won't.

And as far as worrying about which platform you'll be flying, you might as well throw some dice at the craps table. Because that's about the same way you'll get your platform, it's all in the roll of the dice. Everything is all about the needs of the Navy/Marine Corps. Are you going to be lucky today, or is today the day your luck runs out?? Do your best because that's all you have control over.

Hope for the best and expect the worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.