• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pulling Gs: Is it good to be short and fat?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mr. Saturn,

Is that you?? If so, nice abdominal stretch marks.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Mr. Saturn,

Is that you?? If so, nice abdominal stretch marks.

Of course... and here is a picture of myself in uniform for your amusement

officerfatkidif5.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
my experience this summer on 1/c aviation cruise (which was my first experience w/ any real G-forces) may validify the original statement. I'm 5'10" (and around 165 lbs) so I was shorter than about 70-80% of the other mids who were flying. None of us had any prior experience and therefore had no developed G-tolerance. I heard a lot of stories from mids who experienced tunnel-vision and even a couple of instances of grey-out at loads above 6 G. For the most part these were extended pulls (which I would define as more than 1-2 seconds). I noticed that out of all of us, the 4 guys who had these symptoms were also the tallest guys in our group (with the exception of one guy who was about average height comparatively). My personal experience was that I never once felt any sort of greying out. Even on 7+ G pulls (including one 7.4G extended pull-out), I felt pain and struggled to move, but still never got tunnel vision or anything like that. It could be that I was just too pre-occupied to notice that I was greying out, but I think the most likely explantion could be that being shorter helps.

The other question I have is about diet and exercise. Before I went flying I always made sure to hydrate and eat a good meal (mostly so that I wouldn't get sick). Also, I was doing pretty serious push-up and sit-up sets each morning and night and lifting on my off-days (working up for the fall PRT). Could these factors also have helped me w/ G-forces in the jet?

Afterall, with all your experience................:sleep_125 When I was a midshipman, I knew jackshit :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Afterall, with all your experience................:sleep_125 When I was a midshipman, I knew jackshit :)
Ahhhh ... excellent .... and once again, the truth will out .... :)

As always .....

Seriously, guys ... don't "think" the "G's" to death .... like Catmando said (above) ... just do it.