• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pulled Ab Muscle

TopShot

BDCP SNA
Last week I was getting ready to do some sit-ups and laid down on the inclined bench and felt a sharp pain on my lower right side. When I was laying back I kinda slid and I tensed up because I thought I was going to fall; I think this is why it pulled. Anyhow here it is a week later and the pain is still a problem. It has subsided a bit, but today I was only able to do 10 sit ups before it started to really hurt. Any tips to help make it go away?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
It could be a abdominal strain, tear or hernia. I'm not doc but I knew a guy with the same symptoms who tried to push through it. He made the strain a tear, which takes a long time to heal. For more reasons that I can't get into I implore you to see a doctor about this asap. Recovery time could go from a couple weeks to many, many months.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I second making an appointment with a doc. An abdominal strain/tear can keep pro athletes out for a couple of months.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Make it a third on seeing the doc. Was the pain about even with, maybe a little above, your lowest rib?

Reactions: Tom

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Last week I was getting ready to do some sit-ups and laid down on the inclined bench and felt a sharp pain on my lower right side. When I was laying back I kinda slid and I tensed up because I thought I was going to fall; I think this is why it pulled. Anyhow here it is a week later and the pain is still a problem. It has subsided a bit, but today I was only able to do 10 sit ups before it started to really hurt. Any tips to help make it go away?

I had a similar problem to this, it was a sharp pain in my very lower abs that I noticed whenever I did situps. I ended up having an abdominal strain that happened from a rough hit I took during a rugby game the weekend before. After going through several STD checks at my student health center, I was worried that it could have possibly been a hernia, they finally concluded it was just a sprain (My student health center practically assumes everything is a STD until proven otherwise). I'd definitely get it looked at by a doc, mine went away after a week or two of rest.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Definitely go to the doctor. That sounds like a possible hernia (gross), especially if you are in the habit of lifting too much weight without a belt. :eek: If the doctor tells you to rest, if it's a pull or strain, do it--you will really extend your recovery time if you re-injure yourself. When you are back to your workout, consider including more stretching, and possibly more reps and less weight (at least for a while). Real men do scratch their own backs if need be. Consider stretching a necessary evil if you hate it. If you're flexible enough you should not ever pull a muscle doing abs--unless you're holding a big weight.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Pain is a symptom of hurt or disorder....:icon_smil

Pain in that area *could* indicate gall bladder issues.

Nice.... touche'. While that sounds bad, I think the pain was more external and probably more likely to be a spasm or something within the intercostals (I was doing weighted crunches at the time).

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Also--it is worth re-evaluating whether you work your abs more than your lower back. A muscle imbalance can also be a stressor.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
Well I finally mustered up the courage to go and see the doc. He said that it appears that its just a strain but it could be a possible hernia. After performing the turn your head and cough, he said he could feel a slight difference on my right side from my left. He told me to take it easy for the next 2-3 weeks and if it doesn't get any better to come back. So I guess I'm gonna be out of action for a while and hopefully it will go away. I don't have the time nor the money for surgery on a hernia.

TopShot

BDCP SNA
I was just thinking tonight and say worst case scenario it is a hernia. If I get it taken care of and have no complications will this cause me any problems in the future? I wont get disqualified for a fixed hernia will I?