• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pull-ups and headaches

sjd7960

I have recently been getting headaches when doing pull-ups. Up until about two weeks ago I was fine and then all of a sudden I started getting headaches when I do pull-ups...anyone have any idea what can casue this? I am very strong in the pull-up area, and when I do weighted pull-ups forget about it, I feel like my head is gonna blow... It just seems wierd that I was fine for so long and haven't changed my routine or anything.

I was thinking it could have something to do with my bad allergies but I wasn't sure if that would cause this.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
debeneadtos said:
I was thinking it could have something to do with my bad allergies but I wasn't sure if that would cause this.

Could very well be your allergies... I'm here in Jersey right now and my roomate is dying of allergies. I don't even have allergies but the first couple of days of things blooming definitely made me sneeze a few times... They are at their worst in a decade here in the Northeast... Good luck!

zuggerat

debeneadtos said:
I have recently been getting headaches when doing pull-ups. Up until about two weeks ago I was fine and then all of a sudden I started getting headaches when I do pull-ups...anyone have any idea what can casue this? I am very strong in the pull-up area, and when I do weighted pull-ups forget about it, I feel like my head is gonna blow... It just seems wierd that I was fine for so long and haven't changed my routine or anything.

are you breathing at all... cause if ur just holding ur breath and squeezing as hard as you can to get out all the reps that is a good contributer to stress headaches and facial strains.... i bet u kinda look like my avatar when u do ur pull ups

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I had that happen to me last year.

As posted above, make sure your breathing is good, other than that: Just take it easy for a week or two.

It sucks ass having to ease off of a workout routine, but if your headaches are as bad as the ones I was getting - you probably don't have many other options.

I took about 2 weeks off (As I recall) when it happened to me and it went away.

sjd7960

I'm in Jersey too, and my allergies are worse than ever this year, also I make sure I breath, I haven't changed anything since I started my routine a couple months ago especially my breathing pattern. I got my pre-ship pft on the 13 so I can't really take a break from training right now. I can take the pain from the headache but i'm just worried about it not going away by the time I leave for ocs in July, which I know is still over 2 months away but i'm just looking at the worst case scenerio.

Another thing, kind of off topic but aren't you suppose to take a pre-ship pft within 30 days from your ship date? I'm not going to juniors until July 9th, and my oso called and said I need to do a pre-ship..just curious :confused:

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
yes...within 30 days. Maybe the guys who are going early june are doing their pre-ship and he just wants you in to take a PFT for the hell of it to make sure that you're still good to go.

Are the headaches on the sides like right around the temple area?

nublett

Been there, done that.
I also just recently developed serious headaches, around my eyes, during workouts. I tried taking Excedrin beforehand and it made no difference. What worked for me was to alter my regular work-out routine. I laid off on some of the lifting, pull-ups, and push-ups and increased my swimming and concentrated on more controled movement lifting. Also during cardios I have taken more time to increase my heartrate.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Sounds like allergies....they tend to cause blood vessels to constrict.

Could be dehydration due to lack of fluid intake....especially if you do your pullups at the end of a workout. And allergies tend to cause you to become dehydrated, although for a slightly different reason than not taking enough fluids.

sjd7960

The headaches tend to be on the right side, kind of above the eye. I do the pull-ups at the begining of my workout routine this way I can pump out as many as I can. I drink alot of water, thats pretty much all I drink so I don't think it would be that either. Someone mentioned to me that it could be because I tweaked my neck or something but I don't know about that either. Whatever the case I hope it stops soon and I appreciate all the information.
The other thing I don't understand is I only get the headaches when doing pull-ups, not when lifting, running or anything else...o'well adapt and overcome I guess lol.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
debeneadtos said:
The headaches tend to be on the right side, kind of above the eye. I do the pull-ups at the begining of my workout routine this way I can pump out as many as I can. I drink alot of water, thats pretty much all I drink so I don't think it would be that either. Someone mentioned to me that it could be because I tweaked my neck or something but I don't know about that either. Whatever the case I hope it stops soon and I appreciate all the information.
The other thing I don't understand is I only get the headaches when doing pull-ups, not when lifting, running or anything else...o'well adapt and overcome I guess lol.

Ok, could be a tweaked neck muscle, given the above.
If you go to the link below and click on the other links, you can see the relationship between muscles of the eye and neck. It could be that because you tweaked a neck muscle that you will be compensating by holding your head a bit awkwardly.

http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/martinidemo/chapter11/medialib/CH11/html/ch11_4_1.html

or here

http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/head/head1b.htm

Do you do any lat pulldowns? If so, do you pull the bar to the front of your head (best) or behind your shoulders?

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
debeneadtos said:

A pre-med needs to weigh in, but I believe there's a sinus there.

That was my problem. I had headaches in the back of my head - same symptoms, after 5 pullups, never while lifting or running. Went to the doc after a month and he said it was probably clogged sinuses from a cold I had just before. Prescribed me a Z-pak (antibiotics) and I was fine.

Did you have a cold or congestion recently, prior to the onset of the headaches?

sjd7960

feddoc, I pull to my chest when I do the pull downs, I know the consequences to pulling behind your back, a buddy of mine I used to lift with pulled something in his back/shoulder pretty nicely...i'm one to learn from others mistakes lol.

mmx1 I am congested but I don't know whether it is because of my allergies or a cold/ sinus infection.

I think i'm going to hit up the doc tomarrow and see whta his diagnosis is, this way I can found out for sure whether it is a cold or just my allergies.
If he says its neither of the above my mom suggested I go see her chiropractor but I wanted to save that for last case scenario, for some reason i'm not to comfortable with people cracking my neck..

What else can I say.....but...thanks again :icon_tong

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
debeneadtos said:
If he says its neither of the above my mom suggested I go see her chiropractor but I wanted to save that for last case scenario, for some reason i'm not to comfortable with people cracking my neck..

What else can I say.....but...thanks again :icon_tong
I was going to suggest that. If you did mess up your back/neck he'll be able to fix it. It might take a couple of times to get it to stick. Even if it's your sinuses due to allergies they can often clear them naturally without decongestant. I have been having knee pain and my chiropractor was able to significantly reduce it. It was due to my hips being out of alignment. I'm not one of unneccessary pills. :icon_tong

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it goes away, this is a classic example of what NOT to mention on any kind of flight physical.