• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pull up improvement

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
AV8BQAR said:
I just got off my bar, I have been doing 50 a day lately. I want to get to 20 before OCS, so I am changing up my daily routine a bit. In Corporal's Course the instructors had us do max sets as wide as possible, which is really difficult for me. I normally go underhand about 4 inches apart. If I go wide my stupid lats will get bigger and I will have to get my uniforms altered.

Repitition! Muscle memory!

Slow up and slower down. Form.

If you want to be able to do twenty by the end of OCS you need to be able to do about 25 when you get there. For your initial PFT the staff will never count all the pull-ups you do. I was in the 19-22 range when I got their, but for the final PFT, I did only 17 because I was so tired. Expect to lose a couple pull-ups while you are at lovely Brown Field.

AV8BQAR

Mech
Sorry, I only do pullups for fun. I fall in the bent-arm-hang category. Thanks for the advice though. I am hoping that the females will eventually be doing pullups as well, as we should be.

mserver

Doing different sets each day helped me.

M,W,F= 1 pull up, 10 push ups, 2 pull ups, 10 push ups, etc. I only go to five and then back down, but Im sure I could do more. Do what is comfortable.

T,TH= 1 pull up, rest, 2 pull ups, rest 3 pull ups, rest, etc. I usually go up to 5, stop, start all over again. I do anywhere between 50-80 that way.

Also, I alternate grips. One week M,W,F= overhand; T,TH= Underhand. Then I switch it week weekly.

This helped me jump up quite a bit.

erinbynight

erinbynight
I also fall into the flexed arm-hang category, but so far, havn't been able to complete one. I max out at about 24 pushups right now. Can't manage a pull up. (Sad, I know!) Any advice on how i can do one !!! pull up???

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Try mixing it up between wide arm, close grip, chin ups, and cliff hangers are also good.

maineiac515

OCC 193
Kind of a continuation of the original question, is it normal to have a few "bad" weeks here and there? I got up to 16 pullups, but then a couple weeks later I found it hard to do 12-13. but my run greatly improved, i was running sub-18:00 3 mile before, and now I can do better, plus a sub-42 min 6 mile. If I keep up with armstroing, will it bring me back to where i was or should I try something else?

I have 90 days left 'til OCC 193, so I have some time. I just don't want to fall behind in any event at OCS.

thull

May sound wierd, but run a lot, and do a few short field "wind sprints" at the end of your runs where you're pumping your arms hard. THEN do your pullup workout. I think to get the edge with pullups is like anything - the more you're entire body is in shape, the more pullups you'll be able to crank out.

Troy

bing

You can also try just working the top of the pull-up motion for more reps than you can for the whole pull-up. Most people get stuck about eye level on their last couple attempts to the bar. So just going from the top of your head to your chin and back has helped.
I am guessing that it works a different back muscle that does not get worked hard enough doing the full motion. It was recommended to me, and I went from 15 to around 30 in a couple of months doing max sets of those every other day or so.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Works for everything: Swimming.

Your lats will get stronger, as will the rest of your back and arms, you will also lose weight. All of which help.

maineiac515

OCC 193
I've got this whole running thing down, but I am having trouble building muscle. I have a small frame, but I am 6'4" and about 165 lbs, so should I just eat more carbs and proteins? I think I am ok though, I am getting a 270-275 on the pft. Though, I do want the 300. If i put on a lot more muscle, I am worried my run time will come back above 18:00 mins; I like keeping it in the 17's.