• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pull up improvement

dsfwes

hey i'm new here-does anyone have like a phenomenal way to get better at pull-ups? I've been lifting and doing pull'up workouts since the winter but i'm not seeing great results. I'd appreciate if someone could help me out by posting like a specific workout plan-not really sure how much/how often to do. thanks!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
This doubled my pullups in about 4 weeks:

1 pullup, 10 pushups.
2 pullups, 10 pushups
3 pullups, 10 pushups...

and so on... until you max out. then work your way back down.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Doing pushups regularly, often mixed in with the pullups, was key for me. If you're really committed to getting better, check this out:

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong Pullup Program.htm

Even if you don't like the exact program or it doesn't fit your routine, you can adapt some of his concepts to what fits you best.

The basic thing you want to remember is you won't get much better by trying to max out every time you get on the bar. At a minimum, if you focus on good technique and regularity, you'll get better for sure. I've also used some pyramid workouts like Bubba's and I liked those too because they keep things simple.

AV8BQAR

Mech
Initially, 2 max sets a day brought me from 5 to 17. I do them sloooow. Now one 85% set plus another 10 somewhere during the day I keep my 17.

If I were to stick to my 2 max sets per day I have no doubt I would be over 20, but I am lazy. Instead I warm up with pull ups for my retarded bent arm hang.

You can get a bar for 15-20 bucks to mount in your house, in a door jamb or between studs. Then there is no excuse whatsoever. Then have a kid hang from your legs occasionally and/or try to do pullups while laughing. I cant.

Do it every day.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
AV8BQAR said:
You can get a bar for 15-20 bucks to mount in your house, in a door jamb or between studs. Then there is no excuse whatsoever...

Exactly the reason I bought mine. Got it for $20 at the sporting goods store. Having it there made me do them, plus it was convienent. I did all kinds of crazy ass workouts with pullups trying all the programs and whatnot. They all worked good - Armstrong worked (worked wonders BTW), doing the pullup pyramids with pushups worked, etc...

At the end of Operation Increase Pullups I just sort of went to the bar and did 100 almost every day. Just max effort sets of whatever I could do until I hit 100. The last 2 months before OCS I cut down to 50 per day. Havent really done them at all the last 2 weeks. Maybe 2 sets total. But make sure that you have the time to do them right. If you cheat the pullups, you can look cool in front of your friends, but they wont count when it matters, so just learn them right the first time. Start at a dead hang and then begin. Don't jump into that first one. And lock out fully each time. When you're done, dont drop off the bar after you get your chin up. Hang down for a second then let go. If you train right, then they will be easy when it matters and a PFT wont be something that you get all anxious about hoping that you qualify.

For the record, I was at 8. Doing a bunch as often as I could over the course of 5 months brought me up to 12. Armstrong brought me to 17 in a month, and eventually 20 after a few more. Donig the sets until 100 every day took me up to a high of 26. And I do mine all palms outward. I'm not sure if there are any other specific programs to help with palms inward.

Also dsfwes, where are you at currently? If you are around 10 or below, I would reccommend something like what TheBubba suggested. That program is great for building up the muscle. 10-15 I'd say use Armstrong. But the truth is that most all the pullup programs work great. You just have to have the dedication and discipline to follow through even on the days that you dont want to.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Go to a gym that has the pull down machine and instead of pulling behind the neck, use it like you would doing a normal pull up with the bar in front. Make sure you start off on your body weight and then increase the amounts. I usually start at 160 and finish my set at about 180 to 190. Every other day I just max out the pull ups at about 15-20, break, then about 15, break, 10 then 5. Work out those lats. word.

MaxAvidy

Newb like woah
I'm in the dorms, so I walk about 10 feet to the laundry room and do them on the bar for hanging shirts and such. I suppose the people who installed it realized stupid people like me would try and hang from it so it's nice and stable. Anyway, I'm doing about 3 to 4 sets a day. I'm doing them underhand. Should I switch between overhand and underhand everyother day? Also yes, I'm doing pushups like if I keep doing pushups I'm going to win something.
Also, not to diverge, but my right abdominal side is a lot weaker than my left. Can anyone recomend a program to get that side up to snuff?

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
MaxAvidy said:
I'm doing them underhand. Should I switch between overhand and underhand everyother day?
I wouldn't. In the Armstrong Program, the majority of your pullups are done using your normal grip, and just a few are done reverse. I would stick with whichever way works best for you.

MaxAvidy said:
Also, not to diverge, but my right abdominal side is a lot weaker than my left. Can anyone recomend a program to get that side up to snuff?
Target the weaker side with:
45 Side Bends, Ball Side Bends, Incline Twisting Crunch, Incline Twisting Sit-up, Lying Twist, Side Crunch, & Twisting Crunch.

Dhc2tacksby

I've found better success with switching to over hand grip. I've gone from 10-ish to 16 on the last PFT.
The over hand grip uses your back muscles, instead of your biceps/triceps. Once I've reached my max using overhand I can switch to under hand and squeeze one or two more.

zuggerat

openbah said:
I wouldn't. In the Armstrong Program, the majority of your pullups are done using your normal grip, and just a few are done reverse. I would stick with whichever way works best for you.

Target the weaker side with:
45 Side Bends, Ball Side Bends, Incline Twisting Crunch, Incline Twisting Sit-up, Lying Twist, Side Crunch, & Twisting Crunch.

openbah ur the freakin man... i love exrx, that site is the best weightlifting source ive ever come across, everyone should go there and check it out

TheFurr7198

hang a 45 lb plate from your waist and just do pullups for a few weeks with that. If you can only do 5 then thats ok. But do like 2-3 sets like that. When I contracted I did 10 pullups now on my recent compeitiion I got 25. Plus having one in your house to pullups is nice. I dont max out on that bar just like 10-12 real smooth perfect form and the same slow speed. Do that until after 10 you arent breathing hard..........thats what worked for me

Conaway

Repition is the key! Find your max, then do pyramids. Start with your max, then decrese by one each set until you are finished.
Ex. My max was 8 when I started. So I did 8, then 7, 6, etc. Do that everyday for a week. I usually take the weekends off so that my muscles can rest and heal. I did this for about a few weeks until I got to 12 pullups.
Unfortunately, I have been set back by a shoulder surgery and I get to start all over again.

AV8BQAR

Mech
I just got off my bar, I have been doing 50 a day lately. I want to get to 20 before OCS, so I am changing up my daily routine a bit. In Corporal's Course the instructors had us do max sets as wide as possible, which is really difficult for me. I normally go underhand about 4 inches apart. If I go wide my stupid lats will get bigger and I will have to get my uniforms altered.

Repitition! Muscle memory!

Slow up and slower down. Form.