• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Public Storage for Military?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Does anyone know if military bases offer public storage for military members PCSing in? Not deploying, but, for example, moving from a big house at one duty station to a small house or condo in another and wanting to store furniture, etc. for long term.

If not, do any public storage companies offer deals to mil?

Just trying to settle a discussion the wife and I were having. Thanks!

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Not FDNF, in-conus...

also, to elaborate, I meant more along the lines of not whether DOD allows for storage funding, but if bases have storage "units" available for low rent or free.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
No, not at any of the bases I have been to. You are allowed a certain time period in storage associated with your PCS, and then on sea duty you can apply for longer extensions if you are deployed or otherwise gone. After that, the government will typically not store your stuff.
Most bases have storage units right outside the gates, both for household goods and for POVs/boats. I think I paid 20-30 dollars a month for mine as a military rate, but they are definitely not very cheap or free.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I meant more along the lines of not whether DOD allows for storage funding, but if bases have storage "units" available for low rent or free.

The only thing I have ever seen is a few bases had lots where you could park you car long term, but I have never heard of storage units and doubt they would have them at any base.

boobcheese

Does anyone know if military bases offer public storage for military members PCSing in? Not deploying, but, for example, moving from a big house at one duty station to a small house or condo in another and wanting to store furniture, etc. for long term.

If you are moving to an area that is designated as a "critical housing area" the military will pay for storage while you are on the waiting list for housing. If your not sure you want to move into base housing, just sign up for the the housing with the longest wait (I know in San Diego some of them have 2-3yr wait lists) and they will extend gov't provided storage in increments of 3-6 months up until housing is available. Once they offer you housing (if they ever do) if you turn it down you will only have to pay for storage after your current extension expires.