• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PTAD Ideas Please!

los5041

Just started doing PTAD and my OSO let me loose to work three schools about an hour away from the OSO office. I'm living near the three schools so thats why he gave them to me. Anyhow I need some ideas from anyone, about what the hell I can do other than put up fliers and sit around and try to look preety for a few hours a day and five days a week. I sure as hell don't want to annoy people like the Marine enlisted recruter in high school did to me. Anyhow I can use any ideas because my OSO told me that I don't have to check in the office execpt on Friday afternoons with him. There are only so many fliers I can put up and I can't be sitting at table in the union everyday, so please HELP. Some ideas i have are a pull up challenge and talking to some classes at the airport here at the University. Thanks for the help and ideas.

shimbo

Make sure you get the ok from whatever association is in charge of flyers on campus. I know for my school, you need approval before any flyers can go up, otherwise they rip'em down.

Marine4life

Try setting up a table, with all the recruiting pamphlets, in a high traffic area on campus and leave the area for awhile. Most people don't have the cajones to come to the table if a Marine's present. If you keep count of the number of pamphlets you put out, you'll know if you got any hits. Also, go to campus in civvies some days, an OSO I know said this was an easier way to get people to approach him. Make sure you ask your OSO if recruiting in civvies is okay before you do it. Hope this helps.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine4life said:
Most people don't have the cajones to come to the table if a Marine's present.

And we are interested in this type of person why?????????

Seriously if someone cant walk up look you in the eye and see what you have to say I dont think the Marine Corps is a viable choice for them or us.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Marine4life said:
Try setting up a table, with all the recruiting pamphlets, in a high traffic area on campus and leave the area for awhile.

I don't know about the schools that you're working, but at my school any Marine paraphanalia, flyers, etc. could be found in the nearest trash can after about five minutes of being left out. Hippies and other anti-military types feel we don't have a right to express our views.

As far as approaching tables, those are the people who would never approach a Marine and talk $hit. But if you leave info around they trash it. Fricking cowards.

spec05v

Waiting...
Check with some of the better fraternities on campus and ask to speak to their chapters. Contrary to popular belief, some fraternities still support leadership qualities similar to that of the Marine Corps. Those would be the kind of guys that would participated in the pull-up challenge, PFT activity, etc. My campus had very little recruiting, enlisted or officer. Looking back it seems like an option that might have interested a lot of guys.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The best recruiting "tactic" I have seen is to go to universities in civvies and hang around the financial aid office, and listen to all the kids in there who are having trouble paying for school... that was how our school was able to beef up our sophomore class. For those guys and gals an NROTC scholarship or PLC Program application was the light at the end of the tunnel.

los5041

Thanks for the input gents, they all sound like some good ideas. As far as the school goes there is no problem with the students and there is no anti-military move so it works out well. The schools I'm working are Bowling Green, Toledo and Owens all which are in Ohio. Once again thanks to all.

Malice 1

pilot
I just started doing the same thing. Many schools in my area are very restrictive about how the military recruits and how often they can be on campus. My partner and I are going to drop in on athletics practices & such.

Rugby and LaCrosse players seem to be very interested in the USMC officer programs.

bwp3ski

As someone who just graduated from a super liberal school in MN (Carleton College) and who's brother, also at Carleton complete first phase PLC last summer, I can tell you athletes are the best group of people to talk to at small/liberal schools. They tend to be much more goal driven and leadership oriented than most of the student body. As for people having a problem with you on campus...forget about it..those are the kind of people not worth the shirt off your back. Both my brother and I made a point of approaching, talking, and thanking every single military recruiter that came on campus...and to our surprise...many people around us actually opened up to the recruiter after seeing several people approach and talk with them. I think college students often forget that most of the young officers in the military today are very similar to themselves...minus the utter lack of focus and total disregard for authority. Good luck

bwp3ski

Just read an article in the Washington Post about Marine Recruiters in NYC using Craigslist to post recruitment material. Apparently it has worked well for them....craigslist.com

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Los-
We both know you can hang out at Olscamp hall all you want but after a few days the kids who see the flyers will see the flyers and it will be a tapped pool. You need to get into the market of students that DON'T go to class! How about Kami's, EasyStreet, Junction, and don't forget to bring your gov't charge card either. It's been too long for me, I'm honestly having a tough time remember the name of all those great bars I racked up too much credit in.

Seriously though, you have been given a good opportunity to not do a whole lot of work but still do a good job. Just do like Capt. C. and Capt D. used to do and set up the table and leave when you think you are hanging around too much.
The pullup challenge sounds like a good idea, but there are no pullup bars in high traffic areas of BG campus. Does the OSO have a portable pullup bar that can be set up anywhere? If so set that thing up in the Black Swamp (you know where I'm talking about, right? In front of the union, that orange and black brick design that everyone walks over 15 times a day?)
Remember that the idea behind your job isn't to aggresively make college students think they have no other choice than to join the Marine Corps(like that annoying recruiter from high school), it's to just let the kids on campus know you exist and that the Marine Corps is an option. Someone with your background should definetely sell the whole flying thing as well. Talking to the flight students is a great idea. Also, you should try talking to the law students at University of Toledo about PLC-Law. PLC-Law is a great way for lawyers to get litigation experience straight out of the gate of law school from a carreerist perspective, and from a personal perspective it will probably give many of them the chance to do one adventurous thing in their lives for once.

los5041

Whats up Lalick, hope everything is going well for you over there man. Yea I know the spots your talking about so I will have to give them a try. Yes theres a portable pull up bar. Actually there is a basement at the OSO office that none of us ever new about. You should see how much **** there is down there. Anyhow good advice and talk to you soon!