• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT for OCS? Are you ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfUSN

Okay... We can all be honest here. What are you doing to train for OCS? I just want to know how far below the curve I fall.

I, run 2 miles a day, do push ups and sit ups before and after every run, and try to hit the pool for a few laps twice a week.

DON'T laugh...

Ok what are you guys doing?
ATP

Musiqlover

That is pretty similar to my work-out. However I run three miles. I spoke to a guy who just graduated from OCS, and he said that if you can run three miles, at about an 8 minute mile, that you will be safe. Along with that I of course also do push-ups and sit-ups. I do three sets of 50 sit-ups, and 3 sets of 40 push-ups before I run.

Sincerely,

Paul

FlyBoyChris

Wow! i'm nowhere near that, but then again i have a couple of years before i go off to OCS.
Chris

take care thanks

bpikula

I'm probably just a headcase, but I try to run about 20-25 miles a week and lift weights about 3-4 times a week. I'm not really planning on changing my routine any for OCS, I've kind of formed a habit over the last few years. Anyway, I have talked to different people and the common response I get is pretty much the same. They say that if you can run 3-4 miles at an 8 minute pace you're fine for battalion runs, but everyone, including some tri-athletes that showed up, is going to be fatigued due to the fact that you are constantly on your feet and doing something. Plus the heat and humidity here in Florida sucks. Good luck to you guys, glad I'm not leaving in the summer!

Musiqlover

quote:
I'm probably just a headcase, but I try to run about 20-25 miles a week and lift weights about 3-4 times a week. I'm not really planning on changing my routine any for OCS, I've kind of formed a habit over the last few years. Anyway, I have talked to different people and the common response I get is pretty much the same. They say that if you can run 3-4 miles at an 8 minute pace you're fine for battalion runs, but everyone, including some tri-athletes that showed up, is going to be fatigued due to the fact that you are constantly on your feet and doing something. Plus the heat and humidity here in Florida sucks. Good luck to you guys, glad I'm not leaving in the summer!

One problem, though. You won't have access to weighs until quite a bit into your training. However, it sounds like you have a good program!

Sincerely,

Musiqlover

Ed Williams

Right now i run between 2.5 and 4 miles per day. I work at keeping a 7:30 pace for each run and maybe a 7:45 pace for 4+ miles. I lift 3-4 days per week and work on my pushups/situps about 3 times per week. Bein gin Buffalo, I'm hoping that the lower altitude in Florida will help me out.
ed

unfUSN

quote:
Right now i run between 2.5 and 4 miles per day. I work at keeping a 7:30 pace for each run and maybe a 7:45 pace for 4+ miles. I lift 3-4 days per week and work on my pushups/situps about 3 times per week. Bein gin Buffalo, I'm hoping that the lower altitude in Florida will help me out.
ed

unfUSN

Sorry about the first entry I was kinda quick with the "Enter" key.

The lower altitude might help you... but its the humidity you'll have to worry about.

ATP

[/quote]

Kyle McWhirter

Don't believe Ed at all...while I go running, he sits on his butt and plays Playstation...haha. Just kidding big guy. Ed and I are tired of this snow...looking forward to the heat even though it comes with a price. Is the humidity that big of a deal at 0500 PT? I guess we will find out soon, right?!

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
quote:Is the humidity that big of a deal at 0500 PT?
Hehe--0500 isn't that bad, but then again, I'm a native. Although some afternoons, you will walk outside and cry, it's so hot & humid.

The key is to drink PLENTY of water or electrolyte drinks (such as Gatorade or Powerade). Stay as far away from All-Sport as you can (it's carbonated). Also avoid Cokes, coffee, hot chocolate, anything with caffine. Iced tea--bad (it's a diruetic). I would eliminate the bad stuff from my diet a good 4-6 weeks before I went down for OCS, just so you get all of that "flushed" out of your system. You'll be better off for it.

But I guess I'm preaching to the choir (sorry, guess I can't help it--I was an athletic trainer in high school ).

I really wouldn't worry too much about the weather. It's not something you can control, so why waste valuble energy worrying? Spend that time studying your Knowledge!

Walker

I wonder if the summer in Pensacola is any worse than a summer in Tucson, AZ. It looks like there is no relief from the heat for me in the near future.

O-man

Hey, guys- dont forget to work on leg lifts and squat thrusts- work on those too. They kill you with shuff like that. At least I assume they do. I dont know about the Navy program, but I bet they will do all they can to take the starch out of you- then make you runs PFT's and stuff.

Ed Williams

Just to update everyone, it is snowing again in Buffalo. I am sure that the novelty of warm weather will wear off shortly after ariving in P-Cola, but i still can't wait to be in FLorida!!
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.