• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT TEST : Running

jdhvb

I'm taking my PRT test in the next couple of weeks and I am an avid runner, but I recently tweaked my leg. Am I allowed to take the running portion on a treadmill, elliptical, etc. I've been not running as hard to heal it, but just wondering what my options are, and how to ask the recruiter. I am just wanting to stay off it as much as possible to fully heal it.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I am an avid runner

Therefore, you will have no trouble with the PRT. You could take it drunk and pass.

To address the actual question: in the fleet you are allowed to do it on a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, or even swim it in the pool. Most accession PRTs don't allow you those options though, as they are screeners and the harder they can make them, the more effective they are. Never know unless you ask your specific recruiter, however.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Hit the elipitical/bike to keep your cardio going and rehab your leg appropriately. If you truly are an avid runner you shouldn't have any problem taking a week or so off (from running) and doing well enough. If you have a window of time to take it push it to the end if you are really that concerned. Communicating the issue to your recruiter wouldn't be a bad idea. Just don't whine about it.

What times were you running pre-injury?

What can you run when you don't "run as hard?"

m26

Contributor
FWIW, I did my PRT for final select on a treadmill (I didn't ask. It was recommended by my recruiter, since it was snowing outside).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
With your recruiter, maybe. I did my FS PRT on a treadmill as it was super hot/humid outside that day. At OCS, hell no. You run with the group or you roll.

yakboyslim

None
I think general consensus is you are not allowed to do swimming, bike, or eliptical until fleet. Even then I think, as someone else put it, it's for old Chiefs, not young Ensigns.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every command I've been in, the cardio alternatives (treadmill, bike, elliptical) have been a by-request thing. Only time I've seen a bunch of people did it on the treadmill was when the PRT overlapped with FCLP's and most of the pilots and FO's had to do the run on treadmills once we got to the Boat.

If you do a treadmill run exactly per the Navy rules, you have to punch in an incline (don't remember how much...1.5 or something). It's nice to be out of the weather, but that's about the only advantage. Never done the bike or elliptical, but mostly they're for guys with fucked-up knees, PFPS and such, not necessarily the old guys.

By the book, they don't have to offer the swim, but never been in a command that didn't.

This is all Fleet PRT's, of course. Initial-accession PRT's have their own rules. If you're a good runner, don't sweat the PRT much. I suck at running, absolutely hate it, have stumpy little fireplug legs and somehow manage to pass it with time to spare. So get through it with a good score, but not at the cost of injuring yourself. Keep yourself in good condition for OCS.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having been a CFL, the treadmill and elliptical are harder than people realize. I mandated that anyone requesting either do an inventory PRT with me there to ensure they didn't think it would be an easy way out. Those who weren't training for it either failed or scored lower than they had on the run historically.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Having been a CFL, the treadmill and elliptical are harder than people realize. I mandated that anyone requesting either do an inventory PRT with me there to ensure they didn't think it would be an easy way out. Those who weren't training for it either failed or scored lower than they had on the run historically.
I run faster on a track than on a treadmill. I'm not sure why.

But yeah OP if you're an avid runner I don't think you'll have an issue passing 1.5 miles at an 8 min/mile pace, whatever the knee problem.

BigRed389

None

I think it's a fat thing.

If you're fairly large naturally, and you're not in good running shape, it seems that the elliptical helps.

On the flip side, I've seen skinny, lightweight types who were "avid runners" take the eliiptical/bike b/c they didn't want to run in the cold and fail.

And the test was administered "properly" on approved machines at a base gym, calculated with the program, etc.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I run faster on a track than on a treadmill. I'm not sure why.

I read an article about that. It's a mind thing. You'll most likely push harder on a track as you can talk yourself into speeding up. On a treadmill, you're usually just trudging along, not really pushing that extra bit.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's a fat thing.

If you're fairly large naturally, and you're not in good running shape, it seems that the elliptical helps.

On the flip side, I've seen skinny, lightweight types who were "avid runners" take the eliiptical/bike b/c they didn't want to run in the cold and fail.

And the test was administered "properly" on approved machines at a base gym, calculated with the program, etc.

It's a "that looks easier" thing. Oops.

I read an article about that. It's a mind thing. You'll most likely push harder on a track as you can talk yourself into speeding up. On a treadmill, you're usually just trudging along, not really pushing that extra bit.

The treadmill thing always confuses me. I run about 2-3 mi on the pavement at about a 8 min pace with no problem, but if I hop on a treadmill I suck royally. My stride is all off and I feel like I've done a 5k after about 1 mi. Never understood why people think its easier. I'll take the road any day, any weather, anytime, baby.