• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT scores significant pre-OCS?

fatathaland

I'm a bit confused about the importance of PRT results for a pre-OCS candidate's final recommendation:

So long as a candidate passes the PRT then, given that everything else checks out, the candidate will be recommended medically. In other words whether the candidate scores a "good low" or "excellent high," he/she has still passed the PRT and will be medically recommended.

So, simply, what difference does it make what a candidate scores on their PRT so long as he/she passes?

Examples appreciated.

FSF17

pilot
From what I understand, it's just a check in the box, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it your all.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
The difference as far as paperwork? Nothing..

The difference as far as your experience at OCS? If you barely make good-low, and you do not keep up or improve by OCS, and you fail the in-PRT, you will roll into H-Class. I can't speak from experience since I am attempting to pass the PRT for FINDDOCS but that is what my recruiter has drilled into my head.

If you take the PRT after getting pro rec'd I don't think it matters much. However, some recruiters (including mine) insist that you include your PRT in your submitted package. From what I can tell, an excellent PRT may help an otherwise weak package.

Goob83

None
PRT is not submitted till after the PRO REC. now some recrutiers may place in the write up someplace but for the most part it is not looked at till after the board. It goes in as part of the MED Documents and those are not viewed until the processor gets the MED documents and forwards the PRT to the Program Manager. THe PRT gets you a final select letter as long as you have good low across the board if not no letter.
So to anwer your question TECHINCALY the PRT has nothing to do with your getting PRO REC'd

Goob83

None
New Prt Requirement Sept 13

PRT is not submitted till after the PRO REC. now some recrutiers may place in the write up someplace but for the most part it is not looked at till after the board. It goes in as part of the MED Documents and those are not viewed until the processor gets the MED documents and forwards the PRT to the Program Manager. THe PRT gets you a final select letter as long as you have good low across the board if not no letter.
So to anwer your question TECHINCALY the PRT has nothing to do with your getting PRO REC'd

This just came out today 13 SEPT and is now the RULE for PRT

from the book

All Officer Candidate School (OCS) programs, with the
exception of the Nuclear programs, shall include PFA scores with the submission of Professional Documents(PRODOCS) for board consideration. PFA results will be required for Nuclear Programs prior to interview. All applicants must have a completed MEPS physical prior to administering the PFA

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Okay, so let me see if I have this straight. What this is saying is that you now have to do push-ups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run for your recruiter before your package can go to the board. And before you can do that, you have to go through MEPS. So now every single applicant has to go through MEPS, not just the ones that get accepted, and that leaves the background check as the only thing that has to happen between pro-rec and final select. Do I have that right? Seems like this will mean more work for recruiters since they now have to administer the PRT to everyone, as well as more work for MEPS, though that probably won't be as significant compared to the number of enlisted recruits they process.

Goob83

None
Okay, so let me see if I have this straight. What this is saying is that you now have to do push-ups, sit-ups, and a 1.5 mile run for your recruiter before your package can go to the board. And before you can do that, you have to go through MEPS. So now every single applicant has to go through MEPS, not just the ones that get accepted, and that leaves the background check as the only thing that has to happen between pro-rec and final select. Do I have that right? Seems like this will mean more work for recruiters since they now have to administer the PRT to everyone, as well as more work for MEPS, though that probably won't be as significant compared to the number of enlisted recruits they process.
Sounds like you got it and it will be a waste of time and money in my opinion but we will have a lot of folks physically qualifed for service even though they may never get pro rec'd. YUP lot of work and money will be expended. I have started the get a clue up the chain on this one. we will see what happens

FUPaladin

couldabeen
On the other hand, I guess this will mean that the selection boards won't waste pro-recs on applicants who can't meet the physical requirements.

BackOrdered

Contributor
On the other hand, I guess this will mean that the selection boards won't waste pro-recs on applicants who can't meet the physical requirements.

Which means more pro-recs all around for guys who are ready vs. guys who need another 3 months or so to get in some sort of shape.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
When does this take effect? Since Im up for this month and have done my prt and meps, will they look at that?

nugget81

pilot
When I was going through the application process and did subsequent PFA's for BDCP, the rules about PFA changed a couple of times. Initially you did the PFA after you received a pro-rec and went to MEPS. For each PFA we also had to complete a Health Assessment Questionaire. However, the semester before I graduated college, we had the same exact questionaire that had to be filled out, except now it had to be signed by a military doctor (either at MEPS or the nearest DOD facility). That was a lot of fun trying to explain to the Air Force doctors that all I needed was a signature and stamp - "Well, let's get you a full physical!" What?!? No! I just want a stamp!!

This rule change appears to stem from the genius move to have a doctor sign a form that we had already filled out several times before.

Also, don't think of it as a delay--just think of it as one less thing to complete once you get your pro-rec. The Navy is all about hurry up and wait....that is one thing I have definitely learned in the last 2-3 years.

Goob83

None
THis is true and they will have a firm hand on the numbers they need vice guessing if the folks pro rec'd will meet the physical standards. so in this way it is a good tool.

jskibo

Well if it shortens the time between Pro Select and Final Select it will be good, but its just another thing I need to schedule around meetings (I'm sure MEPS hasn't gotten any quicker in the past 17 years, and I doubt they'll let me hold a telecon on my cell in the middle of it :) )