• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Are you saying that you and 3 of your buddies would get lost trying to find a 10,000 foot runway and land only a few mile away from it to ask directions? If the weather was bad they would have been IFR. Either way they could have called for VFR flight following and been given vectors to the airport. Again, VORs, etc.. There was a TON of things they could have done before they landed to get directions. With the experience you have (which I would say is WAY more than what I have) could you honestly say you would have landed and asked directions, Zab? Maybe I am missing the situation that could deem such a thing.
I stand by my statement.

bcw

Fly Navy,
Yeah it was pretty jacked up. I asked him if he thought it was strange that he landed on 31 instead of 24. (I left the GPS part alone) I heard he flies for one of the race teams. I told him that I was leaving for the Navy and we will have an instructing spot open if he needs a job after this stunt. We all got a good laugh on that one...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Are you saying that you and 3 of your buddies would get lost trying to find a 10,000 foot runway and land only a few mile away from it to ask directions? If the weather was bad they would have been IFR. Either way they could have called for VFR flight following and been given vectors to the airport. Again, VORs, etc.. There was a TON of things they could have done before they landed to get directions. With the experience you have (which I would say is WAY more than what I have) could you honestly say you would have landed and asked directions, Zab? Maybe I am missing the situation that could deem such a thing.
I stand by my statement.

I wasn't there. I don't know all the circumstances. What was their mission? Tactical Hop? Were they ordered to divert? Re-tasked in flight? I don't know, I wasn't there. Therefore, I'll refrain from Monday morning quarterbacking 4 guys in a plane I have never flown.

contrail_dash

I guess I should have been somewhat more detailed about this...

Many a naval aviator pass through Colorado Springs for fuel stops, usually they come to my FBO, sometimes if they want to hang around due to slow government contracted service, they go to Peterson AFB. I've seen probably the entire fleet of aggressor F-18s from Fallon. (i've also heard that Grand Junction is a VERY popular fuel stop) Anyways, I'm assuming ( i know thats dangerous) that this Prowler crew was doing the same since they werent over at Pete. very long.

Colorado Springs Airport and Peterson AFB are on the same property. This crew landed on 35L so Peterson would have been at their 1 oclock on the roll out. Instead of heading to the end of 35L and then the taxiway to the Peterson ramp, they turned off at A2 and headed to my FBO. There were only three guys in the jet, their bags were riding shotgun on the port ECMO ejection seat.

Their flying navigation was fine...just cant "drive" for sh*t lol ;)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suspected as much. As much fun as finding your way to Hickam AFB ramps from Honolulu INTL's runways...

thanks for the amplifying info contrail

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I knew there was no way they could have landed at the wrong airport to ask directions. Oh well, made for a better thread that way.
So how did you manage to get to go to Chile, Zab? Is that volunteer? Did you have to request it? Or do you just know the detailer and he hooked you up?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
contrail_dash said:
Colorado Springs Airport and Peterson AFB are on the same property. This crew landed on 35L so Peterson would have been at their 1 oclock on the roll out. Instead of heading to the end of 35L and then the taxiway to the Peterson ramp, they turned off at A2 and headed to my FBO. There were only three guys in the jet, their bags were riding shotgun on the port ECMO ejection seat.

Their flying navigation was fine...just cant "drive" for sh*t lol ;)

Ah hah! So the truth comes out. Ok, that clears things up a LOT.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I suspected as much. As much fun as finding your way to Hickam AFB ramps from Honolulu INTL's runways...

thanks for the amplifying info contrail

That must be a blast, especially landing on that runway out in the water... oh wait, no that would be a pain wouldn't it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
contrail_dash said:
Yeah there was a ECMO that jumped out on the starb. side....really short dude I could only see his helmet from the ground and I'm 6'. They left #1 running.

My supervisor at the FBO did a few cruises as a "grape" tells some crazy stories about deck life, remembers fueling A-6s with both engines running. The single point is about 2-3 feet back from the starb. intake and he said it would pull something fierce on him and suck anything loose off. Also said the grapes and yellow shirts had quite the rivalry pulled lots of pranks and stuff....

They did that with Intruders until one of them was refueling, with its canopy open, and a fire started. I know the B/N and he has burns all over his face from it, really nasty.

bcw

Your story beats mine. How could someone get that one wrong. Lets just hope these guys don't reproduce.. I haven't been to Mid Continent in a long time. We use to fly there a lot.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Flash said:
They did that with Intruders until one of them was refueling, with its canopy open, and a fire started. I know the B/N and he has burns all over his face from it, really nasty.

Flash,
Ground refueling panel for the A-6E was on the monitored bus which required both generators on line, hence, both motors running. Never changed till the aircraft went away.

So, how is D.C.? Ever get that Level III MC sign-off.

"Meat"

Forget who posted maintenance hours vs flight hours but the actual number is 60-80 man-hours of maintenance per a flight hour for the Prowler.

F414Guy

So I guess I should have made that + bigger when referring to maintenance vs flight hours. I have found that the age of the jet and a bit of luck play into that equation. So, I stand corrected on the A6 hot fueling procedures.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Flash,
Ground refueling panel for the A-6E was on the monitored bus which required both generators on line, hence, both motors running. Never changed till the aircraft went away.

So, how is D.C.? Ever get that Level III MC sign-off.

"Meat"

Forget who posted maintenance hours vs flight hours but the actual number is 60-80 man-hours of maintenance per a flight hour for the Prowler.

My mistake about the procedures being changed to single engine. Huggie, from VQ-1 and the Weapon school was the one I was talking about, apparently they had the canopy open at the time the accident happened.

DC is not too bad, I have had to deal with the good and the bad so far. Having fixed working hours and a sweet gym in the building is a pretty sweet deal. The housing prices though......ouch. My skipper nixed my push before I left, did not have enough time for him. Oh well, maybe I will do the terminal O-4 deal they are offereing. Thanks for the help, welcome to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.