• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
No HUD? Are you serious? I figured they'd have put a HUD on that thing...

No HUD, just a windscreen and ECMO1 calling out VSI's. Add Bi@#ing Betty to my list of things I do as an NFO.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
How do the do landings at night?

The old fashioned way, they look at the Ball (and use the needles until you are in close).

airwinger

pilot
The word out here in meridian is as stated above, do well at the boat and suck at ACM:) rumorbuster could probably tell you the EXACT criteria, but I've noticed that if you are top hook and NOT #1 you are very likely to get Prowlers. There was a selection class where two guys were tied for #1 and got their top pick-hornets. The #3 guy who was 1 NSS point behind wound up VMAQ.

contrail_dash

Had a Prowler come through my FBO at C-Springs two weeks ago...they were lost...couldnt find Peterson AFB..funny there was a bunch of C-130s and 2 C-17s over there.....I just pointed and off they went.

beau

"Had a Prowler come through my FBO at C-Springs two weeks ago...they were lost...couldnt find Peterson AFB..funny there was a bunch of C-130s and 2 C-17s over there.....I just pointed and off they went."

How did that work?? Did they climb out of the jet when it was still running and ask?? As far as I know a Prowler needs a Military Ground Power Unit to start up.....maybe shut one engine down.......climb out on that side?

F414Guy

ECMO 2 and 3 can get out of the jet with both engines running and ask directions :D. Yes the Prowler needs ground power to get started/fuel and after working on the FA18 it's a PITA.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
contrail_dash said:
Had a Prowler come through my FBO at C-Springs two weeks ago...they were lost...couldnt find Peterson AFB..funny there was a bunch of C-130s and 2 C-17s over there.....I just pointed and off they went.

....DING...ding....ding....

oh look, someone dropped a dime...

contrail_dash

Yeah there was a ECMO that jumped out on the starb. side....really short dude I could only see his helmet from the ground and I'm 6'. They left #1 running.

My supervisor at the FBO did a few cruises as a "grape" tells some crazy stories about deck life, remembers fueling A-6s with both engines running. The single point is about 2-3 feet back from the starb. intake and he said it would pull something fierce on him and suck anything loose off. Also said the grapes and yellow shirts had quite the rivalry pulled lots of pranks and stuff....

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
How in the hell did a plane full of 4 naval flyers get lost trying to find an AF base? I assume they were VFR, but I have never been lost enough to stop at the nearest FBO and ask directions. Don't these planes have GPS? Either way I know they can navigate via VORs so again, how can a highly trained crew get lost so badly they have to stop and ask for directions? That must have been embarrassing as hell!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
How in the hell did a plane full of 4 naval flyers get lost trying to find an AF base? I assume they were VFR, but I have never been lost enough to stop at the nearest FBO and ask directions. Don't these planes have GPS? Either way I know they can navigate via VORs so again, how can a highly trained crew get lost so badly they have to stop and ask for directions? That must have been embarrassing as hell!!!

That's what I was wondering.... 4 heads... only 1 of which actually has to fly... something screwed up there. Maybe everything was broken, I mean, it was a Prowler.

bcw

You would be suprised at how many people come into the wrong airport. A couple of years ago (Nascar race weekend) a King Air landed at FFC. He jumped out and asked us about the airport. Our hero was shooting the GPS RWY24 approach into Tara Field (4A7) and landed at FFC. WTFO! That guy was lost as a three year old easter egg. Nevermind that Tara field is 15 miles to the east, and he landed on RWY 31. Of course all of us instructors had to bust his balls. I know it's off topic, but funny...

jg5343

pilot
Still, the maps will work. I flew a 3 hour cross country in a c-152 and it had NO nav aids. I know their compass wasn't broken. I am not claiming to be a super pilot, but I haven't been through Navy training yet and I would have been able to find it. I'll bet my license on it. They were screwing around.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bcw said:
You would be suprised at how many people come into the wrong airport. A couple of years ago (Nascar race weekend) a King Air landed at FFC. He jumped out and asked us about the airport. Our hero was shooting the GPS RWY24 approach into Tara Field (4A7) and landed at FFC. WTFO! That guy was lost as a three year old easter egg. Nevermind that Tara field is 15 miles to the east, and he landed on RWY 31. Of course all of us instructors had to bust his balls. I know it's off topic, but funny...

He was shooting a GPS approach and landed at the wrong airport? What the fvck kind of GPS was he using. Me thinks he entered his own damn waypoints or something. That's pretty fvcked up.

jg5343

pilot
These are definately people that aren't renting the plane and/or paying for the gas. I get mad if I get off course by an R.C.H. because I know it is just gonna cost my wallet that much more.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Still, the maps will work. I flew a 3 hour cross country in a c-152 and it had NO nav aids. I know their compass wasn't broken. I am not claiming to be a super pilot, but I haven't been through Navy training yet and I would have been able to find it. I'll bet my license on it. They were screwing around.

That's a bold statement for someone who doesn't know all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.