• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prowler Crunched @ Colorado Springs

MasterBates

So THAT is why I occasionaly get a EA-6B buzzing me in the St. Augustine area. Odd place for a depot.

Small airport if you have never been there. Barely big enough to justify a tower. Also, a great british pub about 1 mile north of Lockheeds gate on US-1.

And numerous great pubs in St. Augustine (south of airport ~2 miles)

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I thought that some military traffic go to civilian airports that have military contracts to avoid paper work. Here at Centennial CO, there is a ton of military traffic(mostly airforce) that land here instead of Buckley because an FBO on field has a military contract for fuel and the resturaunt is two steps away from the flight line. At Buckley, you have to take a car from the ramp to the resturaunt or BX or wherever you want to kill time at. Buckely is the only place with arresting gear over here. At KCOS they just made the runway extra long so the Air Force pilots can have a nice, easy, landing that won't scare them too bad.:)

Come to think of it, there was an Air Force student who did the exact same thing at Centennial(KAPA) about 2-3 weeks ago. He was showing all of the Cessna pilots that he was much faster and could do cool overhead breaks in his pretty new T6II Texan. Our big 10,000ft runway is closed and he was doing touch and go's on the parallel 7,000ft one. On the third time around he tried to stop before he ran out of runway, popped a tire, and damaged a landing gear door - he must have had a nice long, interesting talk with his CO.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
At KCOS they just made the runway extra long so the Air Force pilots can have a nice, easy, landing that won't scare them too bad.:)

Says the guy who has never landed on a ship.

I'm all for interservice rivalry and all, but at least earn your stripes first.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I'm sorry, I have to get my shots in when I can. I am surrounded by Air Force pilots all day who like to tell me how much being in the Navy sucks, I get it from all sides - Naval Aviator is almost blasphemy around here. In fact, I think I might be the only pilot in the southern Denver metro area that holds Navy in a higher regard than the Air Force. At the end of the day everyone is on the same team, but I take what I can get when it comes to the pot-shots.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dmitri said:
I thought that some military traffic go to civilian airports that have military contracts to avoid paper work. Here at Centennial CO, there is a ton of military traffic(mostly airforce) that land here instead of Buckley because an FBO on field has a military contract for fuel and the resturaunt is two steps away from the flight line. At Buckley, you have to take a car from the ramp to the resturaunt or BX or wherever you want to kill time at. Buckely is the only place with arresting gear over here. At KCOS they just made the runway extra long so the Air Force pilots can have a nice, easy, landing that won't scare them too bad.:)

Come to think of it, there was an Air Force student who did the exact same thing at Centennial(KAPA) about 2-3 weeks ago. He was showing all of the Cessna pilots that he was much faster and could do cool overhead breaks in his pretty new T6II Texan. Our big 10,000ft runway is closed and he was doing touch and go's on the parallel 7,000ft one. On the third time around he tried to stop before he ran out of runway, popped a tire, and damaged a landing gear door - he must have had a nice long, interesting talk with his CO.
Buckley is where we go because you can get a quick turn there, not because of geedunk or bennies at an FBO. When you're doing a 3 leg XC to the East coast, you just want to get there in a hurry.

Brett

onedge

pilot
Speaking of the depot in St. Augestine, an retired CO of the USS Kenedy works down there. He came and spoke at an aerospace business mgt. class I was involved in. Nice guy. Told us all about the E-2 refurbishments they do. Among other things.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
onedge said:
Speaking of the depot in St. Augestine, an retired CO of the USS Kenedy works down there. He came and spoke at an aerospace business mgt. class I was involved in. Nice guy. Told us all about the E-2 refurbishments they do. Among other things.
It's a big Northrop Grumman facility. They also do work on the T-38/F-5 models. I have a former DH who got shore duty orders there as their FCF/ferry pilot. Sounded like a great gig, plus he got a CAT IV syllabus in the F-5 at one of the VC squadrons. Same dude had done a tour flying F-4s in Mugu. Not a command track guy, but he definitely got his money's worth out of the Navy in terms of flying lots of cool jets.

Brett

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
MasterBates said:
So THAT is why I occasionaly get a EA-6B buzzing me in the St. Augustine area. Odd place for a depot.

Small airport if you have never been there. Barely big enough to justify a tower. Also, a great british pub about 1 mile north of Lockheeds gate on US-1.

And numerous great pubs in St. Augustine (south of airport ~2 miles)

Northrop Grumman St. Augustine (NGSA) is where they now build the E-2, with two E-2D's currently under construction. It's also where they do some of the EA-6B wing center section and outer wing panel replacements.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
2sr2worry said:
Northrop Grumman St. Augustine (NGSA) is where they now build the E-2, with two E-2D's currently under construction. It's also where they do some of the EA-6B wing center section and outer wing panel replacements.

they may be making demonstrators of the E-2D, but the E-2C is the only model being procured by the Navy right now. The -D is still a few years off.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
HooverPilot said:
they may be making demonstrators of the E-2D, but the E-2C is the only model being procured by the Navy right now. The -D is still a few years off.

I agree that the Hawkeye 2000's are the current aircraft in full rate production...(kinda painful to call two aircraft a year "full rate"). But I guarantee NGSA isn't making the two E-2D aircraft under construction for free. PMA-231 is paying the bill for these first two aircraft to get through SDD phase and then into full rate production. First E-2D SD&D aircraft is about half complete and second aircraft is one-quarter complete. First flight is targeted for August 2007.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pugs said:
Clean wing too, backing your idea of a NADEP run.

I never flew clean away from homebase except for my 3 Depot runs. CO is a about the right distance for a stop. Usually no L/L's enroute either, too much gas.....Get there and get back like Brett said, though the 2 day round trip I could do without again, and be happy you got some good time.