• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

What is the shortest amount of time possible for someone to make it through prototype?

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Fred said:
What is the shortest amount of time possible for someone to make it through prototype?

Prototype is 6 months for everybody.

Are you talking about the shortest amount of time to qualify? One of my hubby's Power School instructors was prior enlisted, and when he went through Prototype the 2nd time, he qualified in 14 weeks. That being said- don't count on qualifying that fast! My hubby was one of the first 5 to qualify on his boat, and it took him around 17-20 weeks or so (he was out for a a few days when our son was born)- which is still really fast. There were people still scrambling to finish right before graduation.

A lot depends on what is happening on the boat- shutdowns and such. Plus when you're able to schedule your board, etc.

Also, just b/c you qualify, it doesn't mean you're "done"- you'll then have to stand watches.

My hubby just finished Prototype in June, and is now and instructor there, so if you have any more questions, I can ask him if I don't know.

Fred

Humm.....

I am so confused about this nuke stuff. My husbands orders are not even for 6mo. They are for 5mo and 14 days. They also state Prototype is self paced and he can finish sooner if all watch qualifications are met. After he finishes Prototype he has orders to meet a deployed carrier for about a month.

We would like to "plan" a trip IF he can finish early. Otherwise he only has a week off before he has to meet the ship.

He is going to Balston Spa, not sure if that makes a difference.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Fred said:
Humm.....

I am so confused about this nuke stuff. My husbands orders are not even for 6mo. They are for 5mo and 14 days. They also state Prototype is self paced and he can finish sooner if all watch qualifications are met. After he finishes Prototype he has orders to meet a deployed carrier for about a month.

We would like to "plan" a trip IF he can finish early. Otherwise he only has a week off before he has to meet the ship.

He is going to Balston Spa, not sure if that makes a difference.

Technically, Prototype is 25 weeks, so roughly 6 mos. Prototype IS self-paced, which is how people qualify at different paces. The schedule should be the same at Ballston Spa as it is here in Charleston.

Your hubby is a surface officer? Just trying to clarify, b/c the surface officers do things a little differently than the sub officers and enlisteds. For example, the surface guys go out to sea for (I think) 18 mos before coming here, while the subbies come here before hitting the fleet.

I will ask my hubby is he can clarify when he gets home this afternoon!
:)

Fred

NukeWife said:
Technically, Your hubby is a surface officer? Just trying to clarify, b/c the surface officers do things a little differently than the sub officers and enlisteds. For example, the surface guys go out to sea for (I think) 18 mos before coming here, while the subbies come here before hitting the fleet.

I will ask my hubby is he can clarify when he gets home this afternoon!
:)

He is neither, he is an aviator, lol. He just told me he is in a little different track than Surface or Sub O's. He will find out how quickly he can finish when he gets up there. Thanks for your help. :)

H

Honour_Class

Is he in PXO quals? They pretty much get their own schedule tailored to their needs. Yes, when they finish they are off to the carrier as soon as possible. There are no "qualified" watches, profiency phase or other nonsense for them. I recently qualified in the same section as three PXO. It was interesting.

Fred

Honour_Class said:
Is he in PXO quals? They pretty much get their own schedule tailored to their needs. Yes, when they finish they are off to the carrier as soon as possible. There are no "qualified" watches, profiency phase or other nonsense for them. I recently qualified in the same section as three PXO. It was interesting.

Yes, he is. I bet I know all three of those guys. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.