• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promotion TIG & TIS question (prior enlisted)

Golden wings

I know this question has to have been asked before, but I've yet to find an answer, or maybe I'm just not getting the answer I want so I keep searching for the answer I want. My question is For the individuals who commission with prior enlisted time. Will they get to promote to O-4 earlier assuming they meet the 10 yr TIS requirement (Some of which is enlisted time) along with the 3 yr TIG as a LT requirement? I commission as an ensign in 14 days and I'm just curious if I will be up for promotion for LCDR during my 7th year as an officer, or between my 9th and 11th year like everyone else without prior time (I have 6 years prior time/AF).

Source
http://work.chron.com/navy-promotion-times-grade-requirements-11028.html

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Your prior enlisted time counts for longevity (getting you to 20) but you will promote with your year group like all the other officers who commission with you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Truth. Additionally, your statutory service limit counter resets upon commissioning, so an O5 would normally be limited to 28 years before mandatory retirement, you would be able to tack on your enlisted time and remain in for 28 years plus your 6 years enlisted time. Gives you additional flexibility if you're trying to maximize your retirement numbers.

@ OP: The article you linked to is unnecessarily confusing the TIG/TIS concept. Bottom line, it's two years from O1 to O2, then another two years from O2 to O3, then you'll compete for O4 along with your year group. You don't have to worry about TIS, as it's OBE by the time you'll be up for O4. If you're not aware, you'll also be eligible for O1E/O2E/O3E pay with your prior time, which is a nice bump in pay.