• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Program Cuts

Rumor has it they are cutting flights in the Jet syllabus. ACM, WEPS, FORM, and AN's is the latest. Anyone heard this ugly rumor?

Kycntryboy

pilot
First I've heard anything of the sort, I know they plan on changing the syllabus with tailhook....sometime. But not this.

Junior

pilot
In my humble opinion that would be horrible. Keep us updated, I'm very interested to hear the outcome.

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
I don't know if that can be the case. I am being told as a Hornet RAG IP that they are actually trying to "download" hops from the RAG to T-45s because it is a lot cheaper to fly T-45s. I don't know how they would cut other hops if they are pulling hops down. It's all rumor and conjecture though, I guess.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
I am being told as a Hornet RAG IP that they are actually trying to "download" hops from the RAG to T-45s because it is a lot cheaper to fly T-45s.

Yeah, let’s move the division night form hop to T-45s. 1 IP and 3 studs rendezvousing at night without radar = good times. Just don’t get scared.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Cut flights out of the SNA flight-training syllabus? Isn't that like taking a semester out of med school? Don't know about today's standards, but back in the 60's the Navy "joke" was that a newly-winged AF pilot was a VFR/day-only qualified pilot. Hope the Navy is trending in that direction.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Had a brief with a Slovanian Test Pilot the other day. Part of it was with the T-6 program manager talking about the T-6B program. The first deliveries to Whiting are still slated for March 09. Anyway, he said part of the new syllabus will be adding on extra flights, a small syllabus if you will, for those who select jets. I wonder how much it might be or how much it might expand. Cheaper to operate a T-6 over a T-45 I assume.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Rumor has it they are cutting flights in the Jet syllabus. ACM, WEPS, FORM, and AN's is the latest. Anyone heard this ugly rumor?
your "Biography" says you work at CNATRA, you probably know more than anybody else down the chain ...

rumors I've heard ... after the T-6 and T-45D are online ... "they" are going to push some basic/"baby" FORM flights & early AN flights to a new "intermediate" stage of flight training after Primary and before Advanced jets (T-6 is cheaper to fly than the T-45) and move some ACM flights from TS as well as some intercept flights from the RAG to a stage after you get your wings but before you goto the RAG (the T-45 is cheaper to fly than the Hornet/SH).

The T-45D will have a fake radar in it, i.e. the MFD will have a mode that simulates a radar - it was originally put in for WSO training, then the idea popped up about training pilots prior to the RAG. Opponents say why teach bad habits since IPs won't be able to teach proper tactics which are classified; proponents say it'll teach students how to fly spread while working a "radar" and you can just teach generic tactics.

(just rumors, don't spread them as fact)

S/F

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I had a meeting with our Commodore here and he asked if I though they should cut any flights out. So I know there was discussion about it at that level, I just do not know if anything happened with it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Had a brief with a Slovanian Test Pilot the other day. Part of it was with the T-6 program manager talking about the T-6B program. The first deliveries to Whiting are still slated for March 09. Anyway, he said part of the new syllabus will be adding on extra flights, a small syllabus if you will, for those who select jets. I wonder how much it might be or how much it might expand. Cheaper to operate a T-6 over a T-45 I assume.

Man, they just keep reinventing the wheel, don't they? "We need intermediates...wait, intermediates are going away...we need intermediates again..."

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, they just keep reinventing the wheel, don't they? "We need intermediates...wait, intermediates are going away...we need intermediates again..."

I think ideas just pop into folks head and they think aloud. It then gets included into whatever endeavor is on the table.

Junior

pilot
Everyone needs to put their own personal stamp on everything. A fitrep that read "So-and-so inherited a generally well working program and made no changes which resulted in the same product. Through their flawless leadership..." probably wouldn't be career enhancing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Everyone needs to put their own personal stamp on everything. A fitrep that read "So-and-so inherited a generally well working program and made no changes which resulted in the same product. Through their flawless leadership..." probably wouldn't be career enhancing.

Indeed.