• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Proficiency Advance

E6BFlightComp

Don't know if I didn't dive deep enough, but searched around for awhile and could not find the answer to my question.

I am currently awaiting Primary down in Corpus. I have a Commercial - Multi with an Instrument rating. Gouge is that Day 1 of classes, I will have to disclose my ratings and hours (~300). This will input some sheet into my ATJ that will advise an On-Wing of a mandatory proficiency advance if found applicable.

Questions for any knowledgable people:

Is the gouge true? (Live by the gouge, die by it)

If a proficiency advance is procured, how will this affect an NSS? (Curious as to how it works. Are grades summed up to MIF placing more reliance on the events that you will be graded for? Is there some motivation to receive a proficiency advance such as a boost in grades or a great job! sticker on my ATJ)

Has any of this changed with the Charlie syllabus released last year?

I know we're all trying to be on the demo teams someday and appreciate the inputs. Thank you

croakerfish

pilot
Even if you are forced to go through an abbreviated syllabus, with that much flight experience you’ll probably still have a pretty high NSS

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
If I remember correctly, prof advancing helps out your NSS in the end by reducing the amount of graded items you receive. Anyways, enjoy primary and don’t worry about grades going through. Do your best, study hard, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy where you end up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There was some discussion about this here. You might have to go back to page 3, as well...I don't remember.

Also, having lived the second choice, I'd highly recommend it.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I was/am a Bravo syllabus cone and had similar ratings/times coming in. Prior time helps if you can adapt how you fly to the Navy way. A lot of the stuff is the same, but stuff like the pattern and some radio phraseology was different. Prof advance in the B program was off IP recommendation (they put a comment on your gradesheet). It would then work its way up the chain to STUCON and ultimately the Skipper. Prof advance just had you skip the flights. You still had to brief, knock out all the required graded items, and do all the SSRs. In other words, prof advance compresses the same amount of material into less flights. It does help with NSS though. I was told each skipped event awards roughly 2 points.

In the C syllabus, prof advance is a more fluid thing. There are trigger events for prof advancing. So let's say you're on your C4303 (historically the second to last flight before your check), but you knock it out of the park and would have passed the check if it was that day. If you flew with an IP qual'd to give checkrides, then they could prof you through the checkride and straight to your solo/next phase. No further action required on the part of the CoC. That said, treat cautiously if you're going to ask.

They take note of your flight time, but they don't flag your ATJ or anything. That is more for all the demographic/training trends CNATRA keeps tabs on. They can't force you to prof advance if you don't want to. When I got my paperwork, I got briefed on how skipping events was optional and if I didn't feel comfortable, I didn't have to. I actually flew an event I skipped previously since I needed another look at the pattern after a rough go at PELs.

Last edited: