• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Problems with Valsalva Manuever

eskimopie88

I'm able to pop my left ear with the valsalva manuever, but I can't with my right. I've never had problems popping my ears using other methods like yawning or swallowing. At my pre-commissioning physical the flight doc couldn't see my right eardrum move so he had to go in and manually move it before clearing me. He said that as long as he was able to do that then I was fine. I'm worried that the docs at NAMI won't be as willing to pass me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do you have seasonal allergies? I know I did when I lived in Eugene/Corvallis in the spring and early summer. Congestion can cause you problems with the valsalva; I had a similar problem once that caused me to go med down for a few days while in flight school.

torpedo0126

are you putting a little time in between when you attempt to clear your ears? if I try to clear my ears like 5 times in a row they don't always pop...i'm assuming because the pressure is equalized? I'm sure you are...probably didn't even need to mention this.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
NAMI wasn't nearly as bloodthirsty as it was made out to be, for me at least. I didn't even have to do the valsalva thing. They looked at my precommissioning physical, did a hearing/vision test, drew some blood and I talked to the flight doc. He told me what all was involved with flight status, why Red Bull and creatine are the devil, and that was it. Worrying isn't gonna fix anything, anyways. Good luck.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
are you putting a little time in between when you attempt to clear your ears? if I try to clear my ears like 5 times in a row they don't always pop...i'm assuming because the pressure is equalized? I'm sure you are...probably didn't even need to mention this.

The eardrum should flex outward during a valsalva, regardless of the pressure differential. That's what the doc is looking for.

Did you try tipping your head to the left while doing the valsalva to straighten out your right eustachian tube?

eskimopie88

torpedoe0126: I usually leave some time between the attempts because I run into the same deal as you do. But even with that time lapse, I can always feel the left ear pop and never the right.

C420sailor: Someone mentioned that trick to me and I can feel a slight pressure in my right ear, but not a distinct pop. Maybe it is working, I'm not sure though.

Thanks for the help everyone!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
torpedoe0126: I usually leave some time between the attempts because I run into the same deal as you do. But even with that time lapse, I can always feel the left ear pop and never the right.

C420sailor: Someone mentioned that trick to me and I can feel a slight pressure in my right ear, but not a distinct pop. Maybe it is working, I'm not sure though.

Thanks for the help everyone!

True statement.